Thread: bridge taper

Default bridge taper

Hello good folks. Sorry if this has already been discussed/explained, but I didn't see it in a quick couple of searches.

Is there a practical reason for the taper of a bridge? Decreased mass at the ends for some sonic matter, or is it more forgiving to the structure of the top?

Thanks

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: bridge taper

A little more info about what kind of bridge and exactly which part you're asking about would help. And maybe a picture with markings on it if possible.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but some sand down the "sharp" corners on the bridge so it doesn't catch/poke their picking hand, or so I've read. I've thought about doing it, but haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but some sand down the "sharp" corners on the bridge so it doesn't catch/poke their picking hand, or so I've read. I've thought about doing it, but haven't.
    Sorry, I meant to ask if there's a reason other than this.

I'll see about adding photos but any style of bridge I've seen, flat top or arch tapers (on at least one axis) at the ends (except for some solid body electrics).

If you mean the tapered down height of the bridge/base, it's structural. It's a dance between the force of the downward pressure of the strings, the dynamics of the top structure (carved or flat top braced), the desire to let the top vibrate as much as possible but not collapse or buckle, and a number of other factors. The edges of the outside corners on a bridge don't matter acoustically.
    Solid body electrics don't rely, to speak of, on the body vibration from the strings. They have a pickup.

7. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

AndyV