Thread: BG jam

Default BG jam

what tuning do you think works best in a BG jam? I know it's not a traditional BG instrument but the jam I go to already has plenty of guitars and better mandolin players. I'd like to bring my tenor but don't know what would be the best fit.

Default Re: BG jam

In a jam, I'd think the tuning you're most comfortable in.

For me that would be standard tuning which also makes it easy to 'follow' the mando - "samish" chords, just moved.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    In a jam, I'd think the tuning you're most comfortable in.

For me that would be standard tuning which also makes it easy to 'follow' the mando - "samish" chords, just moved.
    I'm most comfortable on guitar first and mandolin second, but was wondering what tuning might fit in best sonically on TG.

I can’t see that it would make a lot of difference sonically. With either guitar tuning or mando tuning you’ll have some keys that are easy with plenty of open strings and some that will be mostly movable chord shapes (unless you capo). With traditional BG, you’ll probably get lots of tunes in G, D, or A, but you’ll likely get some in B, too.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles