Thread: A picking exercise I made up for myself...

Default A picking exercise I made up for myself...

Friends, I have so much to learn on the mandolin, but of course that's half the fun right there. So when I'm hanging out - or watching a documentary on Dolly Parton as I was then - I like to strap on the mandolin and just start picking. If something catches my attention, I made a little exercise for myself with it. That's how I learnt to play the guitar way back when, so I figured it might work for the mandolin as well.

Anyway, here's one I just came up with today. Offered at two different speeds, and with zero pretense that I can actually play :D

As an aside, every year I think about what it is I'd like to get better at this coming year. Last year, it was not being so static behind the mic when I perform live. This year? It's learning the mandolin well enough that I can legitimately gig it. So fun!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojocaster For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A picking exercise I made up for myself...

Nice melodic exercise. I like it and want to play it in multiple keys. It is a variant on arpeggio studies but could be a good noodler for playing and watching TV.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Default Re: A picking exercise I made up for myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice melodic exercise. I like it and want to play it in multiple keys. It is a variant on arpeggio studies but could be a good noodler for playing and watching TV.
    1. thank you!
    2. Why didn't I think of trying it in different keys? I love that! Thanks again