Thread: Fylde Octavius mandolin string gauge?

Default Fylde Octavius mandolin string gauge?

Hi there,

I have an old Octavius mandolin (no longer made by Fylde) and I'm wanting some advice on the best string gauge. I'm finding it a little hard work with chords etc and thinking that maybe a lighter gauge would help a bit. I should say I am a guitarist, so I'm aware that the change in technique will also be contributing to my struggles.

Does anyone own one of these instruments and if so what gauge/brand would you suggest?

Many thanks,

Dom

Default Re: Fylde Octavius mandolin string gauge?

For octave mandola GDAE tuning on mine, I've used D'Addario Mandola Phosphor Bronze, .015 - .052, EJ76 for many years and have been pleased with the results. For tenor CGDA tuning, D'Addario Mandolin Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass, .010 - .038, EJ73 has worked very well.

I always used J74s when I had my Fylde, the only instrument I regret selling btw.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have 49,34,24,15 on my Touchstone, which should be a good starting point to experiment your way to either heavier or lighter from.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've used the J74s for many years on my 37 year old Octavius. Did try Redwoods a while ago, but went back to the J74s. They are bright and project well enough. It is, after all quite a quiet instrument.

Why don’t you email them?

rogerbucknalll@fyldeguitars.com

I have the very same instrument. For a long time I used 12.24.36.48 . (as supplied as a set by Eagle Music here in the U.K) but they can seem a bit sloppy on the Bass strings so i now use 13.24.36.52. These seems a good compromise between ease of playing but still plenty of volume. Its pretty loud for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Why don’t you email them?

rogerbucknalll@fyldeguitars.com
    Sorry, that should be rogerbucknall@fyldeguitars.com - too many l’s!

It shouldn’t be that hard to fret. Check the setup. Apart from the nut height, check that Fylde hasn’t left a spare shim under the saddle (they had on the used Touchstone I picked up a couple of years ago) and you probably need zero neck relief.

Are we all discussing the same instrument? I suspect that some comments are about the Octavius Bouzouki and not the little Octavius mandolin. 11 to 40 mediums would seem to be OK, but a 52 on the bottom? Maybe not.

Thanks all! Yes, just clarify, this is the Octavius mandolin not the bouzouki (which I also have). I suspect it probably needs a set up as well, which would hopefully improve the playability. I’ve emailed roger previously about string gauges for my bouzouki and he basically just said try whatever you want, which wasn’t especially helpful.

Ah sorry, I for one read it as the octave mandolin ! I'd suggest for the regular mandolin a set of 10s. Apologies for misleading advice !

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notverygood View Post
    Ah sorry, I for one read it as the octave mandolin ! I'd suggest for the regular mandolin a set of 10s. Apologies for misleading advice !
    I also assumed that this is about the OM.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

No problem :-). So the consensus is a set of 10’s?

Just received this from Roger Bucknall. What a lovely man!

Hi Dominic

Thanks for the mail
    Sorry for the speedy reply, trying to catch up!

The Octavius is a shorter string length than the TT, but the gauge is less important than the set up. Make sure you have a reasonably low action, particularly if you are new to the mandolin.

I use 40 – 11 for the TT, that’s quite heavy but fine with a low action. If you used those gauges ( they are on the website), the tension would be lighter on the shorter scale of the Octavius.
    But- its really your choice. There is almost no difference from one brand to another.
    If you chose a set with .010 first string, thagt might be a better starting point. We is “generic” strings on the smaller instruments, originally bought from Picato, but they no longer exist.
    Choose. Good make, get the mano cheked ovr

Hope that helps

Regards

Roger