Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebay Ratliff Mandolin Ads - Why is there little interest?

Default Re: Ebay Ratliff Mandolin Ads - Why is there little interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Well, that CountryBoy has a custom finish, not the stock Sheraton brown. So a custom finish $150 less than retail doesn’t seem too bad. And free shipping.

NFI with anybody.
    Mine had that custom finish and it looks really nice. The gloss on it stands out in contrast the the back and sides that are a satin finish.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    Mine is an F. It is very light and similar to a Gibson F9 I bought back in the day. Very well built. Audey is a bit dry but great to deal with so if you have questions you can always call him.
    Yes, I kinda would like an F-style better, I think, but I am new so I don't really know if it is necessary to hold out or just get the A?

In most cases the only thing an F-style will do for you that an A-style won't is give you somewhere handy to attach a strap.

That said, if you think you're only going to buy one mandolin it might be worth it to buy the one with all the features that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxwellHaus View Post
    In most cases the only thing an F-style will do for you that an A-style won't is give you somewhere handy to attach a strap.

That said, if you think you're only going to buy one mandolin it might be worth it to buy the one with all the features that you want.
    True, thank you. Not sure what I am going to do just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Well, here is my advise to you based on what you stated, and follows my previous post. If you are willing to spend $1500 or so on a used A style mandolin, you can get a well known mandolin from a maker like Weber or a lessor known maker like SilverAngel. If you wish to protect your resale possibilities, both would hold value. The more we’ll known brand would likely sell quicker. Many other mandolins like a Summit, or Ratliff would fit the bill, and there are many others.

The second way to go is buy an Eastman or Loar, or Kentucky, for as little as $300 used. The downside is tone, but these can be set up to play very well, and they offer great value. The reality is that you need to put in some time before you can be your own judge. I have found having a very nice instrument to be conducive to playing more and accelerate your progress, so I’d go the well known $1500 route and if it doesn’t work out, you have something of value to sell. My heart would tell you to buy a Silverangel, but I do remember that jumping into the unknown feeling. They aren’t for everyone, and out of a batch of ten or twelve Econos, three or four seem to get resold within a year or two.

If your willing to go $1800-2000 the trusty Collings MT would be a beginners sure thing dream mandolin.
    Guessing you are gonna say this is a good buy:
    https://reverb.com/item/30081731-rat...ndolin-f-style

Mine had that custom finish and it looks really nice. The gloss on it stands out in contrast the the back and sides that are a satin finish.
    That is awesome, if this were an F-Style, we would not even be having this conversation, lol, I would have probably bought it .

Quote Originally Posted by LTTele View Post
    That is awesome, if this were an F-Style, we would not even be having this conversation, lol, I would have probably bought it .
    I am partial to F style like most, but I can tell you sound wise there is no difference. I have had F9 & A9 Gibson from the same year that sounded exactly alike. You can actually get a better Mandolin cheaper in an A with the same sound as the higher end F. As for an A style Ratliff. They are great Mandolins with a solid sound and great value already. Its all preference to that point and MAS will quickly take hold anyway.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

I am partial to F style like most, but I can tell you sound wise there is no difference. I have had F9 & A9 Gibson from the same year that sounded exactly alike. You can actually get a better Mandolin cheaper in an A with the same sound as the higher end F. As for an A style Ratliff. They are great Mandolins with a solid sound and great value already. Its all preference to that point and MAS will quickly take hold anyway.
    Lol, thanks. Yeah, I am trying to avoid MAS as much or more as "buyers remorse." Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by LTTele View Post
    Guessing you are gonna say this is a good buy:
    https://reverb.com/item/30081731-rat...ndolin-f-style
    Yes I would. An early example judging from the scroll treatment and the tailpiece.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Yes I would. An early example judging from the scroll treatment and the tailpiece.
    Awesome, thanks.

Blog Entries

I’m truly appreciating my 1999 Ratliff R-5. Mr. Ratliff is very approachable and has many videos that a buyer can watch in order to get an idea of his process as he builds. Great flame, fit and finish, and tone for days.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

12. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I think the problem of too little interest comes from the fact that it's on eBay. Seller ratings notwithstanding, I'd be a little leery about buying a mandolin from a stranger without having hands on at least once. There are, however, some members of this forum whose judgement I would trust. We all pretty much know who they are.

I realize eBay and PayPal offer some protections but that doesn't mean it's not a hassle to avail yourself of them. When the OP posted the link, I looked at the mandolin but it never crossed my mind to try to buy it. That same mandolin from TMS? I might consider it. Otherwise, I'll pass.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.