Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Ratliff Mandolin Ads - Why is there little interest?

Default Re: Ebay Ratliff Mandolin Ads - Why is there little interest?

The "no return" policy always scares me off. What if I don't like the sound of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
    The "no return" policy always scares me off. What if I don't like the sound of it?
    As a seller, it would be tough for me to accept "I don't like how it sounds" as the sole reason for a return. I think it's impossible to ascertain in 24-48 hours whether an instrument "sounds good", assuming there are no structural issues. It can take awhile for your ears to adjust to a new instrument, for the instrument to acclimate, for new strings to play in, etc. IMO, a seller has satisfied his/her end of the bargain if they've supplied the instrument in as-advertised physical condition. If the buyer doesn't like the sound, that's on the buyer.

Think of the inventory cost in a high end shop. Want to stock Collings? Well you’d need six or seven just to cover the bases, for someone would surely walk in wanting an MT 2 or an F5 deluxe. That alone would be $25k . I’m guilty of thinking stores only having three Weber’s, or one or two Pavas were not providing a decent selection. But carrying inventory adds up fast, and mandolins do not fly off the racks. I’ve noticed how many Northfield F5S are sold compared to the double the cost MF gloss.

Those few who can afford four already have them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
    In this case, the seller is a longtime eBay seller with perfect feedback specializing mostly in mandolins. I would say he knows what he is doing. As an eBay seller myself, the "no return" policy was recently forced upon sellers by eBay wanting smoother returns with international sales, which required more expensive return costs, considering shipping both ways and who pays customs fees, etc. -- like I say, mostly forced upon sellers by eBay because it is just easier to state that policy upfront. NOW, for years and years BEFORE eBay, most vintage guitar dealers had a 48 hours approval which meant once you got it in your home you had 48 hours to decide if you liked the instrument. Many of the old school sellers will still honor such a request, but I would make sure in advance with emails, phone calls, etc.

OTOH, every eBay sale is guaranteed to be as described or your money back, which opens the door for buyers to return things for petty reasons like "seller said there was finish checking but I didn't expect this much finish checking", etc.....basically, eBay will always side with the buyer, but if a seller states no returns upfront, I would be respectful of that, in other words, if you don't like the sound of it don't say it has too much checking, as a reason to force a return -- which is basically lying, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Dec-29-2019 at 4:03pm.

Well it looks like one sold, guessing the bidder was reading this thread.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

re: returns for not liking sound: I respectfully disagree. There is often side variation in the same model. I bought a new mando from a major shop, from a boutique maker, that did not at all live up to the reputation. Little volume, and thin tone. I returned it and bought a new Collings, for less money. My conscience is clear and the mando sounds great.

I'm scared off by purchases with no return policy. I've bought a couple that way. So now my grandson has a Gibson Alrite he enjoys. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Like any builder, Ratliff’s pricing is a function of ‘bling’. That new ‘A’ looks pretty sweet, and would have been built just like a fancier one. It would come with a lifetime warranty. The 96 shows a little damage to the fretboard binding and the points are discolored. The impact of that can only be measured by a potential buyer. Would certainly take some money to be like new.

Both of mine are CountryBoys, in the dark they sound Cremona varnished with triple binding.

Btw, Charles Johnson is great to work with (vintage Mandolins or Mandolin World Headquarters).
    Thank you, I am thinking I may wait awhile and save up for a used one, but so glad to know that the "Country Boy" is a good way to go .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Well it looks like one sold, guessing the bidder was reading this thread.
    Ah good, glad we could help, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    While looking around there I found another one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Sto....c100008.m2219

The description says it's made in "Korean" but it's being shipped from the factory in China.
    Thanks, but I think I am going to hold out for a "Country Boy."

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cagle View Post
    I've played Rat's the majority of my playing career. I've owned 12-15 mandolins since 82-83 and 3 of them were Ratliff's. I owned #17 I think. 03/04/84 and sold it, wished I hadn't. They are great mandolins and my current Rat w/ englemann top I must admit is not to shabby.

note: The older one has been for sale for quite a while but I have no doubt it would be as Bill said a great grasser
    Thank you for the input, I think I am going to save up for a "Country Boy" and call it a day .

- - - Updated - - -

I’m full up with a ‘A’ and an ‘F’. That ‘96 is a great bargain and other is still a very good price. Audey’s Mandolins are typically loud and punchy, great grassers.
    Thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Happymandolin View Post
    Although I own Eastman, I prefer luthier made.
    I think I would prefer "luthier made" too!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    It could be the time of the year. Seems on other items, eBay can be slow during the holiday season. That said, am slightly surprised the '96 only sold for the opening bid. Really good deal for someone.

And there were/are some other deals to be had on eBay as well as Reverb.com and the classifieds here.
    Thanks, I have been trying to keep an eye out on Reverb, Ebay and here.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Well, here is my advise to you based on what you stated, and follows my previous post. If you are willing to spend $1500 or so on a used A style mandolin, you can get a well known mandolin from a maker like Weber or a lessor known maker like SilverAngel. If you wish to protect your resale possibilities, both would hold value. The more we’ll known brand would likely sell quicker. Many other mandolins like a Summit, or Ratliff would fit the bill, and there are many others.

The second way to go is buy an Eastman or Loar, or Kentucky, for as little as $300 used. The downside is tone, but these can be set up to play very well, and they offer great value. The reality is that you need to put in some time before you can be your own judge. I have found having a very nice instrument to be conducive to playing more and accelerate your progress, so I’d go the well known $1500 route and if it doesn’t work out, you have something of value to sell. My heart would tell you to buy a Silverangel, but I do remember that jumping into the unknown feeling. They aren’t for everyone, and out of a batch of ten or twelve Econos, three or four seem to get resold within a year or two.

If your willing to go $1800-2000 the trusty Collings MT would be a beginners sure thing dream mandolin.
    Thanks again for your input. The Silver Angel intrigues me, I like the tones I hear on videos from YouTube. I think I am going to try to hold out for a used "Country Boy" and keep saving my $$'s. I have a few other instruments I play and have been focusing my practice time on those, so mandolin, serious as I am about learning to play, may come a bit down the road, once I have actually had some time to budget and save for a $1000 range Country Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    A lot of us have been on the "catch and release" portion of the journey. Sometimes it never stops. It's been that way with me and guitars for 30 years.

And it's also possible that if I find a mandolin that presses all my buttons, would turn around and get rid of almost all the other ones.
    Yes, I am hoping the "Country Boy" will do that, I don't really want to spend a lot of time trading, I have done that with guitars and I would love to try to spend more of that time practicing .

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    For lots of people an inexpensive Eastman would be plenty good enough, if you are mainly going to use it for simple chords in a sing-song situation or something like that.

If you get good enough to take breaks in a bluegrass situation or play classical music or jazz, then it's a bit different. Playability up the neck, projection, tone, etc etc then become much more important, and (importantly) worth paying for. It's not an accident that the players you see every week on Mandolin Mondays - in varying styles - are playing quality instruments.
    Yes, great advice!! I am holding out, for a "Country Boy."

Quote Originally Posted by ntriesch View Post
    Over the last 35 years in San Diego I have seen mandolins go from super popular with a ton of expensive mandolins on store walls to just a few on walls. Twice! Now , there are no high end stores in San Diego at all. I think we are just in another very slow time. The music stores we do have are low rent and have a few $100 mandolins or slightly higher.
    Hello, thanks for your input. If things are very slow now for mandolins, how would you suggest one scoop one up for a good deal or smart buy?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTTele View Post
    Hello, thanks for your input. If things are very slow now for mandolins, how would you suggest one scoop one up for a good deal or smart buy?
    Post a WTB (Want to Buy) ad in the classifieds. As Elderly lists them (when available) for $1350 new, I’d expect to pay ~70% of that figure ($945) for a used one in good shape and then negotiate the PayPal / shipping fees with the seller.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Post a WTB (Want to Buy) ad in the classifieds. As Elderly lists them (when available) for $1350 new, I’d expect to pay ~70% of that figure ($945) for a used one in good shape and then negotiate the PayPal / shipping fees with the seller.
    Thanks, Mandolin World has one now, an A-style, but it is from 2018, so in two days, it will be two years old; not sure if I should go for it?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Thanks, Mandolin World has one now, an A-style, but it is from 2018, so in two days, it will be two years old; not sure if I should go for it?
    I wouldn’t be concerned that the instrument is from October of 2018. I would question why Charles is asking $100 more than Elderly’s price and expect to negotiate.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I wouldn’t be concerned that the instrument is from October of 2018. I would question why Charles is asking $100 more than Elderly’s price and expect to negotiate.
    Yes, he said he could do $1350, but that is just the right price, not a deal. He will do free shipping, but not much beyond that, so not sure if it is worth it, though others have said he is fine to deal with. I am guessing these don't discount much new, given there are so few of them, but IDK?

I bought a custom ordered Ratliff "Country Boy" #1182 about a year ago off of Reverb. It was brand new but the buyer decided to stick to guitar. I can say with out a doubt I don't think I will ever sell it. Its amazing! Not flashy but with a radius fret board and a lacquer top has enough panache to take anywhere. I have had several Gibson's over the years and it has just as much punch and chop as they do. I have talked to Audey several times and he said that this one came from Mandolin World HQ as a special order. Audey Ratliff mandolins are the best value for small shop builders out there. I would put mine up against anybody as far as sound and build. Its not flashy, but it wasn't built to be.

PS. Here is a great article I found not to long ago on Audey Raltiff.

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/audey-ratliff
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I bought a custom ordered Ratliff "Country Boy" #1182 about a year ago off of Reverb. It was brand new but the buyer decided to stick to guitar. I can say with out a doubt I don't think I will ever sell it. Its amazing! Not flashy but with a radius fret board and a lacquer top has enough panache to take anywhere. I have had several Gibson's over the years and it has just as much punch and chop as they do. I have talked to Audey several times and he said that this one came from Mandolin World HQ as a special order. Audey Ratliff mandolins are the best value for small shop builders out there. I would put mine up against anybody as far as sound and build. Its not flashy, but it wasn't built to be.

PS. Here is a great article I found not to long ago on Audey Raltiff.

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/audey-ratliff
    Yes, the one he is selling is #1188. Is yours an A-style or F?

Yes, he said he could do $1350, but that is just the right price, not a deal. He will do free shipping, but not much beyond that, so not sure if it is worth it, though others have said he is fine to deal with. I am guessing these don't discount much new, given there are so few of them, but IDK?
    Well, that CountryBoy has a custom finish, not the stock Sheraton brown. So a custom finish $150 less than retail doesn’t seem too bad. And free shipping.

NFI with anybody.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Well, that CountryBoy has a custom finish, not the stock Sheraton brown. So a custom finish $150 less than retail doesn’t seem too bad. And free shipping.

NFI with anybody.
    Ah okay, thank you. I think I will call him and just get it then.

Yes, the one he is selling is #1188. Is yours an A-style or F?
    Mine is an F. It is very light and similar to a Gibson F9 I bought back in the day. Very well built. Audey is a bit dry but great to deal with so if you have questions you can always call him.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.