Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Obvious 12/26 Question

Default Re: The Obvious 12/26 Question

Got a Kentucky KM252 from my wife. She’s a beauty. (And my wife is too.)
    Need to learn how to play. The mandolin.

2. The following members say thank you to kymando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kymando View Post
    Got a Kentucky KM252 from my wife. She’s a beauty. (And my wife is too.)
    Nice first post!

Congrats on your new mandolin, and welcome to the Cafe

4. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Santa asked me to take care of this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redvalley.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	520.2 KB 
ID:	182249
    The scraggly ribbon was a bow until a certain cat decided to help me untie it.
    Red Valley flattop. Sounds great, fun to play.
    Hey Hank,
    Is that the Billy Brown custom build? (All of that flamed maple is kind of a giveaway)
    I had my eye on that one, but I guess I was on the naughty list!
    Nice acquisition!

An Eastman Mandola - MDA 315 :-)
    Dealing with FedEx was tricky - 3 failed delivery attempts in which we waited at home all day twice. And 3 trips to the warehouse ,once told to return, the second time they couldn't find the box but the third time was the charm :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleE View Post
    Hey Hank,
    Is that the Billy Brown custom build? (All of that flamed maple is kind of a giveaway)
    I had my eye on that one, but I guess I was on the naughty list!
    Nice acquisition!
    Yup. It really looks good but the video sound sample (and construction sequence) is what convinced Santa to make the leap.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Not really mandolin-related but my wife gave me a subscription to fiddle video.com A, which is exactly what I wanted because of the excellent players/teachers on that site : Kevin Burke, Andre Brunet, and Patti Kusturok. Exactly what I wanted.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Not a mandolin, and not exactly a Christmas present, but I took delivery of a telecaster style guitar that's been in the works for over two years. The body is made out of a 1951 Fender steel guitar body that was too beat up to be used for anything.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rukacaster.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	182269
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Not a mandolin, and not exactly a Christmas present, but I took delivery of a telecaster style guitar that's been in the works for over two years. The body is made out of a 1951 Fender steel guitar body that was too beat up to be used for anything.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rukacaster.jpg 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	182269
    Hard to picture how the body was made though I assume that the steel's body was stripped and pieced together to make the width of the Telecaster? Looks like anice old piece of wood.

Not to derail this thread but I recently saw Bill Kirchen play. He is a true master of the Telecaster. Here he talks about how he modifies the Tele controls to get some great effects—essentially turns the control plate around as well as the switch and swaps out positions for the volume and tone. I may try it with my '72. His Tele was made in NY with pieces from flooring from old buildings. It sounded amazing when he played it.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

It did take a lot of work to piece it together. Parts of the pickup and string mounting holes are visible on the back: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5908.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	182275
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I did, and that's what brought me here! It was a total surprise of a gift--while I do sing in a crew that does folk music, and have been dabbling with concertina for a few years and now and again toy with bodhran, I've never really done anything at all with strings. To be honest, this beautiful little thing kind of terrifies me. I've been cradling and gazing at it with a strange mixture of fear and excitement, kind of like someone who's never had much exposure to kids but has been suddenly handed a baby to hold lol. But, I subscribe to the Online Academy of Irish Music, and my boyfriend is well-versed in all things plucked strings, so I have high hopes of learning how to make it sing!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lilyaperi For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Mandolin Café, and the wild, wacky, winsome world of the mandolin! Is it safe to assume this was a gift from your string-playing boyfriend? Perhaps he sensed something in you that you hadn't, some sort of innate or instinctive interest in the instrument. I hope his hunch was on point, and that he will be able to help you along the way toward bonding with it. One of the best things you can do is bang around on it until things begin to make sense, without judgement or self-criticism, just natural curiosity. You'll get more familiar with it as you progress, and learn through more conventional approaches, but you should start your journey at zero. Feel free to ask any and all questions here. And have fun!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Technically, it was from my mom, but they plotted it together behind my back I should have known it was coming; he had made comments a few days prior about how with my small hands and shorter stature, maybe I'd enjoy a smaller string instrument better, one that wouldn't require as much finger yoga to be able to move deftly for playing the Irish tunes we both love. The self-criticism thing is definitely something I need to release, because now that I have one, I'm determined to do it justice! Thanks so much for the warm welcome, I've already learned loads just by lurking and trawling the archives (boy, are people opinionated about their picks! Lol it's been super informative!)
    "Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyaperi View Post
    ... (boy, are people opinionated about their picks! Lol ... )
    They are all opinionated. I, on the other hand, just quietly know.

Welcome to the cafe, lilyaperi, and Happy New Year!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

19. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Got this Martin 00-28! Ok, I got it for myself but nobody else was stepping up and somebody had to do it.

Name:	Martin.jpg 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	182320

My wife got me a banjolele! I think that's close enough to count. This thing is riot.

Name:	80696372_487095755274731_8688606590837719040_n.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	182324

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    It's a 10ft.,,2 wt. Nymphing rod...
    You must be working lots of small streams.....I've often thought about a 2 wt but went Takara for fun.
    Eastman MD-305 Left Handed Version
    Pick....Dunlop JD Jazz Tone 207 (for today anyway)

67.4 % of all statistics are made up !

23. The following members say thank you to Don Roon for this post:

Well, Due to the Rubner tuner delay my Christmas present from my wife won't be ready until March ! New Girouard F4 ! Went with Schaller Grand Tuners.

Well... not exactly a Christmas present but I worked out a mutually pleasant trade with a fellow MCer for a lovely Campanella A-5. I had only played his early mandolins many years ago but this is #90 and has a sweetness all the way up the neck and is very responsive. It is so very hard to put it down in order to leave the house.

Name:	CampanellaA5_FTBK.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	182490 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampanellaA5_detail.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	182491
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That's a very NICE Camp! Jim. I love the looks of that and if it sounds half as great as she looks you did very well.

I love the understatedness of his design. This is the first mandolin I have owned with larger frets (I think they are EVO with that goldish color) and an armrest and this plays so nicely and, even more important, is much different in tone than any other mandolin I own or even have tried. I was even thinking I didn't really need it but after playing it a bunch—well, you all know...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I inherited a Strad-o-lin from a friend's uncle earlier in the fall, and it's all fixed up now, so I played it for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Well... not exactly a Christmas present but I worked out a mutually pleasant trade with a fellow MCer for a lovely Campanella A-5. I had only played his early mandolins many years ago but this is #90 and has a sweetness all the way up the neck and is very responsive. It is so very hard to put it down in order to leave the house.

Oh, well done Jim, that is an absolute beauty!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I inherited a Strad-o-lin from a friend's uncle earlier in the fall, and it's all fixed up now, so I played it for Christmas.
    Hi...what did it need to bring it up to playing status? I'm looking at one now (on line so far). It's a 1950's model and word "STRATOLIN" is all one word...no hyphens.

Thanks for any info.
    Eastman MD-305 Left Handed Version
    Pick....Dunlop JD Jazz Tone 207 (for today anyway)

67.4 % of all statistics are made up !

"your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Congrats, Jim.

I had a bad case of scroll fever and landed a Stanley F5 right before Christmas. Nice complement to my Heiden and Passernig.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic