Thread: How much of a concern should this be?

Default How much of a concern should this be?

Eastman 305. Not mine. Crack noticed in upper fretboard. Reason for immediate alarm?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-19-16-50-16_kindlephoto-146170525.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	182072
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Default Re: How much of a concern should this be?

Common in old instruments (and not uncommon in newer ones), usually results from flatsawn ebony in the fingerboard, not a reason for alarm, just something to be fixed when it comes time for a re-fret.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

B381 

Easily made invisible w/ black superglue and a razor blade.

What about this? Saw this on the treble side of the neck. It's not open but you can feel it with the pad of your finger.

Trying to learn....teach me oh wise ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191219_115526.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	182077
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the actual joints opening up. That kind of finish checking is also common. When finishes like lacquer start to age they get more brittle and susceptible to the slightest movement of the wood and/or binding. The celluloid binding shrinks as it ages, and the wood moves with humidity changes. In luthiery we are forced to commit one of the cardinal sins of woodworking: "never glue two pieces of wood with opposing grain". We do it all over the instrument, and that combined with brittle lacquer is a recipe for finish checking at some point.

Having said that, these things can be slowed by doing your best to maintain constant humidity.

7. The following members say thank you to amowry for this post:

B381 

Adrian Minarovic

I'm a bit more paranoic about such cracks in finish, especially around neck joint (perhaps because I had the pleasure to restore few mandolins with similar symptoms as result of poor neck joint moving and I refused to take one or two that were not worth it).
    Of course that could be also result of too thick and brittle finish and quick heat/cold cycle or trip to tropics... but this same COULD be result of neck moving forward under tension of strings (and perhaps some extra heat/ moisture or poorer joint). I would check neck angle/ bridge height plus fingerboard hump (presence or nonpresence), same cracking of finish on glue line at 15-17th frets at the side of fretboard and closely inspect neck joint all around the heel. Sum of these symptoms would give me answer what's going on...
    Adrian

9. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

B381