Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's The One That Got Away?

Default Re: What's The One That Got Away?

In other "one that got away news", but not mandolin related:

A few years back there was a JP Whitechapel tenor banjo that popped up on Reverb. I'd been coveting a JP (made by Jim Patton over in Liverpool, but sadly no longer building) for ages and they don't come up for sale often, but I didn't have the cash. I did know someone who was looking for a tenor banjo and thought it would suit them so forwarded the listing. They ended up buying it but fast forward a few years later and they offered to sell it to me! I leapt at the chance and am thankful that I got another chance at "the one that got away"! It's my main banjo now and not going anywhere!

Also last year while visiting a friend down in LA I stumbled across a fantastic '69 Martin 00-18 that I played for 3 hours non stop in the guitar shop. Was just there killing time with zero intention of buying anything but knew that if I walked away from this guitar that it would haunt me, so I did something irresponsible with a credit card and walked out the door with it! No regrets!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I kind of wish I didn’t sell my Fletcher tenor guitar. My Herb Taylor archtops are better guitars in every way, but the Fletcher had it’s charms. It was such a pretty instrument.

4. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    In other "one that got away news", but not mandolin related:

A few years back there was a JP Whitechapel tenor banjo that popped up on Reverb. I'd been coveting a JP (made by Jim Patton over in Liverpool, but sadly no longer building) for ages and they don't come up for sale often, but I didn't have the cash. I did know someone who was looking for a tenor banjo and thought it would suit them so forwarded the listing. They ended up buying it but fast forward a few years later and they offered to sell it to me! I leapt at the chance and am thankful that I got another chance at "the one that got away"! It's my main banjo now and not going anywhere!

Also last year while visiting a friend down in LA I stumbled across a fantastic '69 Martin 00-18 that I played for 3 hours non stop in the guitar shop. Was just there killing time with zero intention of buying anything but knew that if I walked away from this guitar that it would haunt me, so I did something irresponsible with a credit card and walked out the door with it! No regrets!
    Those JP banjos are fantastic. I've played a few, including the one owned by John/Maggie Carty and it's a brilliant banjo. You did well, hopefully Jim will build again, but if not that'll be a great investment as well as an awesome instrument.

I had to take out a loan to buy both an early paragon tenor banjo and an Ellis a4 mandolin. I haven't regretted the decision of either of them for a second. Life's too short to be without instruments that inspire you. Hope your knee is on the mend.

6. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Those JP banjos are fantastic. I've played a few, including the one owned by John/Maggie Carty and it's a brilliant banjo. You did well, hopefully Jim will build again, but if not that'll be a great investment as well as an awesome instrument.

I had to take out a loan to buy both an early paragon tenor banjo and an Ellis a4 mandolin. I haven't regretted the decision of either of them for a second. Life's too short to be without instruments that inspire you. Hope your knee is on the mend.
    Cheers Sean, feeling less pain now, so that's a plus! Follow up appointment on Stephen's Day and likely to get instructions for physical therapy to get started with, so making slow progress to full mobility!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Ah Jill, all the best on the heal. I messed up my knee cap doing judo; it's never been the same since. I spent about a month on the sofa practicing, waiting for my knee to recover. Only fools and horses on repeat. Rest well and merry Xmas. Hopefully see you in 2020 in Ireland to compare Girouards.

9. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

Schofield F-5 at my local shop. Usually when they have something good, I lust for it and then am relieved when it's gone. I still think about that Schofield, though. That and a pre-war 0-17 that sounded like the platonic form of that instrument.

She was a Brazilian visiting lecturer when I was in grad school

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvanElk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    She was a Brazilian visiting lecturer when I was in grad school
    If this was the Mandolin Bar, that could be quite a thread. 😃

still trying to turn dreams into memories

Last edited by Bob A; Dec-25-2019 at 4:13pm.

Blog Entries

There was an F5G in the classifieds in 9/10 condition about a year and a half ago for just under 2800. I wish I had pulled the trigger, but only in the sense that I am answering this survey (which I love by the way). I am content in the present. That is all we can say, right?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

16. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Gunnar 

#1 My first Gibson was a 2002 F9 in pristine condition that I bought from Tejon Street Music for about $1,900. It was an absolute dream with the exception of the nut needing some minor repair. I let that bother me for months despite the fantastic play-ability and ended up talking myself into "upgrading" to an F5G for twice the money. I ended up hating the F5G a couple of months later and never found that sound again. Occasionally I look for one of those brown F9s but they are always priced way above what I paid for mine.

#2 Almost every time I don't pull the trigger on a Nashville Flatiron Festival that is priced right.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

18. The following members say thank you to Pilot172000 for this post:

The two F5's i am forced to list today.

20. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Blog Entries

Pilot, Thanks for that lesson, though not painless in its effect. I have owned an F9 too. Admittedly, it was too early in my mandolin process to know what I had. I don’t actually want an F5 other than my Ratliff, though I would hope one day to have a Gibson F5G or Collings MF.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"