Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ToneGuard Question

Default Re: ToneGuard Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    OK, been riding motorcycles since I was a teenager....over 50 years at this point...FWIW. Here's the deal, the reason you ride a motorcycle is to look cool, right? Part of that is to play the role of a bad mutha -- black t-shirt, boots, sunglasses, leather jacket, etc (last time I checked that was called fashion???) -- anyway part of all that posturing is the mounting and dismounting of the bike, as you show up to your favorite watering hole, event, etc.......

that requires swinging your right leg over the rear fender when getting on the bike in one sweeping motion, popping the starter, and riding off into the sunset with all the "non-biker world" watching in feared amazement while holding their ears at the deafening sound of the straight pipes........

well, UNLESS you are an NBA player you aren't tall enough to swing your leg over the sissy bar in one sweeping motion -- you have to instead awkwardly lift and tuck your right foot over the seat between the gas tank and the sissy bar to get on the bike -- IN EFFECT -- totally blowing your cool! The whole reason for being part of that elite club in the first place!

Maybe fashion is an offensive word to some, maybe mandolin decorum would be more accurate....

At any rate, just having some fun, but fully admit getting sidetracked at this point from the OP's question.....

But, then again............
    W-w-w-w-w-w-wait. You're claiming that if you have to bend your knee slightly as you pass it over the saddle while mounting your motorbike, this act makes you appear so awkward and unfashionable that you shouldn't even own a Harley, whereas if you can manage to keep your leg straight, that somehow makes you "look cool" and "part of an elite club?!?" OMG, what desperately insecure, shallow thinking.

You have given us all one more reason to dislike biker mentality. I had no idea you supposedly tough guys were such slaves to fashion!

2. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Dave Sheets

These things are all tools, if they work well, use 'em, regardless of how little they cost.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

As a lifelong motorcyclist and mandolinist. IMHO. ToneGuards are definitely "un-cool". I mean really? Don't get me wrong to each his own. I wave to all bikes even scooters and trikes as long as you ride. Same with music , I don't care how you get there, Just get there.

Wow a strange derailment of this thread! Somehow we got to macho motorcycles and lawn equipment.

I can say that I don't use any internal combustion engines anywhere near my mandolins. What I don't get is why anyone gives a flying doodad what anyone else does. I buy $35 picks and use $13/set strings on my mandolins and I have a Tone-Guard and like it when I use but it doesn't fit in my case so I forget to use it. I don't care what anyone else does, I just do what works for me. Sometimes I am enticed to try things that others mention and sometimes I don't who cares what anyone else does and, for that matter, who cares what I do. Just me and sometimes I don't care either.

... and now, I will step off my hand-carved, f-style soapbox with custom Tone-Guard...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Wow a strange derailment of this thread! Somehow we got to macho motorcycles and lawn equipment.

I can say that I don't use any internal combustion engines anywhere near my mandolins. What I don't get is why anyone gives a flying doodad what anyone else does. I buy $35 picks and use $13/set strings on my mandolins and I have a Tone-Guard and like it when I use but it doesn't fit in my case so I forget to use it. I don't care what anyone else does, I just do what works for me. Sometimes I am enticed to try things that others mention and sometimes I don't who cares what anyone else does and, for that matter, who cares what I do. Just me and sometimes I don't care either.

... and now, I will step off my hand-carved, f-style soapbox with custom Tone-Guard...
    This says it all !

That's us! Gotta have "some" fun...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    As a lifelong motorcyclist and mandolinist. IMHO. ToneGuards are definitely "un-cool".

The mandolin, just by itself, is So. Very. Uncool. in most of the musical gatherings where cool really matters. When I think of the social opportunities that passed me by just for playing "that little banjolookie thing". Oh my goodness. Its like saying that the polka dots on your bow tie make it uncool. Or that yodeling is uncool sitting down.

That said I think wearing a bow tie is real in yer face transgressive cool, and you don't have a XXXX on your XXXX if you don't yodel in public.

Though I do think this is changing. Slowly. I do hear more yodeling all the time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

This thread is fast becoming one of my favorites following the collective unconsciousnesses of the denizens of this lovely virtual community. Motorcycles, Marandola s, coolness, yodeling, bow ties! Yes! Yes! Yes! Hah!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I yodel! Did it in the school hall 5th grade, The history teacher went nuts trying to figure out who it was. Ha.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

I seem to recall reading something about Hank Snow learning how to yodel as a boy and the need to find a place to do it with plenty of space around him....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... I do hear more yodeling all the time.
    Yes, I've heard there's a real re-awakening happening among yodelists. Predictions are that yodeling will soon elevate into the place of alphorning in popularity.

Woe, those poor alphornists.

Edit: Maybe I'm just in the wrong circles, but I've never seen any hint that mandolins were unpopular. Rare and unusual, yes, but not unpopular.

Now banjos, that's a different story. Their popularity has made them unpopular.

[Added alphorn links for Jeff ]

On-Topic Comment: Regarding ToneGards, yes, they are.
    Last edited by dhergert; Dec-24-2019 at 3:59pm.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Don, you could have saved me a google search by saying those long horns used in the Ricola commercials...........

18. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Blog Entries

This thread is fast becoming one of my favorites following the collective unconsciousnesses of the denizens of this lovely virtual community. Motorcycles, Marandola s, coolness, yodeling, bow ties! Yes! Yes! Yes! Hah!
    And now, even alphorns (aka those long horns used in the Ricola commercials). Who would have dreamed?

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a ToneGard or similar device for alphorns...
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

sissy bars on Harleys are cool,,they are functional and add to the overall lines of the bike,,,I wouldnt own one without one,,but I'm old school ,from a time when every bike had one..

Blog Entries

I had a sissy bar with a bag in back, and I had crash bars and saddle bags and windshield and the works after I restored my '78 shovelhead. It was a nice ride, I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't in a parade. But I didn't have a ToneGard on it, it was plenty resonant without it.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

22. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    sissy bars on Harleys are cool,,they are functional and add to the overall lines of the bike,,,I wouldnt own one without one,,but I'm old school ,from a time when every bike had one..

You are probably old enough to remember that the name "sissy bar" is the whitewashed version of what bikers actually called them in the 60's -- a not-so-politically correct name referring to the gender of the bike's passenger, FWIW.

I mention this for those who are a couple generations too young to have read Hunter Thompson's "other" book.......Hells Angels. A glimpse at an outlaw era before lawyers rode Harleys...

24. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Yeah, well, when the lady (or man) you’ve been with for 30 years tells her friends you play the banjo-something, you have a reference point.
    But when I named my (sort of) mandola, Nelson, everybody seems to remember. Marketing.
    Anyhoo, about toneguards. I wondered about how much sound comes out of the back of a bowlback, as I would have thought it was much more of a ‘dead’ component than on the other shapes, so I experimented a little, and was surprised that it does radiate sound. What I could use is something that gives me a better grip on the back of this thing since it’s hard to clamp with a forearm. Is there such a thing, that maybe even is toneguardish?
    Happy holidays, friends. A time for music in the dark part of the year.

You might be able to set the bowl into a bucket or pail to act like a banjo resonator and isolate the back from your belly. Experiment with plastic or metal buckets? It may alter your playing position.

I gotta chime in (chime, cuz my mando has great sustain, partly due to using toneguard). Check yourself Jeff. You cast aspersions on many fine musicians making great music(Sierra, CT, and Ronnie to name a couple elite players). Go tell someone driving a boss truck that you think their brush guard makes them a foolish follower.
    I wear my strap over my left shoulder so I can high five my band mates while chugging a beer between songs!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

28. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

30. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Glad that previous post was removed. Absolutely vile.

32. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post: