Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campanella Mandolins

Default Campanella Mandolins

I'm dreaming of a Campanella Christmas.
    Just like the ones I used to know.

Anyhow, I've become super intrigued by Joe's mandolins and I'd love to see some photos or even some videos from current owners. A testimony of some sort would be fun to read too.

I'm hoping to purchase a Campanella in the very near future....

All the best,
    Dem
    Last edited by Demetrius; Dec-16-2019 at 9:26pm.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Campanella Mandolins

I've never heard one but I've heard they are really a stout mandolin. I love the construction as well and the way they look. I second Dem and would love to see a pic or two and a sound clip would be the icing on the cake!

3. The following members say thank you to Stephen Cagle for this post:

There's a Campanella A5 in the Classifieds. Your wait is over, Dem.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    There's a Campanella A5 in the Classifieds. Your wait is over, Dem.
    There was one but it is gone.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    There was one but it is gone.
    The ad is still active and not marked as sold. However, you may know something we don't.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/147797#147797

I have dealt with Joe and can say that working with him on build can’t be improved. He listens and offers nothing but the best advice. The results , of course are simply awesome. I believe I will own his instrument for a long long time
    John D

I would check to make sure he’s still taking orders. If not grab what you can on the used market. The Music Emporium has been waiting on some builds now going on two years. I’d suggest if anyone wants one, grab a used one if you can. It could be a considerable wait for a new build.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    The ad is still active and not marked as sold. However, you may know something we don't.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/147797#147797
    Did a search and nothing showed up. I love the looks of these, would like even more to play one. So there is still a chance someone to get it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Joe told me about a month ago that he was. It going to be taking any new orders directly from the public
    John D

Right. Exclusively through the Music Emporium I believe....

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    Joe told me about a month ago that he was. It going to be taking any new orders directly from the public
    Was, or wasn’t?

wasn't

- - - Updated - - -

This is my dream Campanella. This actual one... Who ever owns this is one lucky person...
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...e-2-point.6116

This is actual one is my dream Campanella. Who ever owns this is one lucky person...
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...e-2-point.6116

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I'm dreaming of a Campanella Christmas.
    Just like the ones I used to know.

Anyhow, I've become super intrigued by Joe's mandolins and I'd love to see some photos or even some videos from current owners. A testimony of some sort would be fun to read too.

I'm hoping to purchase a Campanella in the very near future....

All the best,
    Dem
    Just curious, Dem. Have you played a few of these mandolins? I have always loved the look but haven't played any of his more recent ones.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Just curious, Dem. Have you played a few of these mandolins? I have always loved the look but haven't played any of his more recent ones.
    Hi Jim, Yes I have. Joseph used to attend and be a vendor at the Joe Val fest some years ago so I've played quite a few of them. Also, The music emporium has carried them through out the years and I believe I've played most of the ones that have gone through there. Joe builds an amazing instrument and he keeps getting better.

If you can’t find a Campanella within a suitable time frame, Skip Kelley has built some violin style mandolins. I haven’t played one of those, but own an A5 by him that holds its own with the big boys I’ve played...

Good luck with the search. I’ve always dug the look of Joseph’s mandolins as well...
    Chuck

The “style” and aesthetics is not what makes a Campanella mandolin a Campanella mandolin. It’s the voicing that sets them apart. Joe spent two years as an apprentice to Larry Smart. His mandolins don’t sound like anyone else’s. They sound like Campanella mandolins.

I’m sure Skip makes a nice mandolin, but if Dem has his heart set on a Campanella mandolin, then that’s what he should get.

Joseph definitely has a sound. There is something pretty special that goes on inside his little masterpiece boxes. At this point I’m about to lose my mind not having one.
    I just missed out on the opportunity to get one by minutes which stings inside but I guess we will see. I’m starting to lose a little steam cause I’ve been putting ads up for years now for one of these. I just pray Santa comes up with one for me.

The heart wants what the heart wants. Hang in there, Dem. One will come along eventually. Nothing else will scratch that itch.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Demetrius,

Just curious about your MAS. You went through a pretty serious Gil MAS, then Stiver, and now Campanella. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Are you looking for sonic variety, or do your tastes evolve over time? Or some other reason? Inquiring minds want to know.

Blog Entries

I have heard a few but I have not played one. They sound great.

And I have talked with Joe, who is a really great person.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

that was always my fav as well.

I just wasn't sure i knew how to peel those edges off correctly..

I've played a few at the Music Emporium when I used to live in Boston. They had a used F style that had more of a Monteleone shepherd's crook than a scroll for a while. That was a beautifully balanced and feather-light instrument. Campanella's have a crystalline warmth that is incredibly pleasing to the player and listener. If Joe made an L-5 with the violin style construction I could be converted to a full-time guitarist...good thing he doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonMandolin View Post
    I've played a few at the Music Emporium when I used to live in Boston. They had a used F style that had more of a Monteleone shepherd's crook than a scroll for a while. That was a beautifully balanced and feather-light instrument. Campanella's have a crystalline warmth that is incredibly pleasing to the player and listener. If Joe made an L-5 with the violin style construction I could be converted to a full-time guitarist...good thing he doesn't
    I believe he has made at least one of those guitars.

27. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: