Thread: Satin-nickel plating?

Default Satin-nickel plating?

I'm restoring a 1921 Bacon that had been badly abused and neglected. Because it was so clobbered, I'm not concerned with the antique or collector value that comes with most restorations. I just want it to look its best and play well.

So, can anyone recommend a good metal-plating outfit that could re-plate my tailpiece? The existing plating appears to be satin-nickel over brass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Tailpiece 1.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	182006

Default Re: Satin-nickel plating?

While I used a certain Tennessee company for the nickel replating of my '34 Epiphone tailpiece, I was not happy with the result. The plater sanded the worn, but original surface quite heavily, rounding off the crisp edges. It ended up looking like a piece of modern Danish furniture hardware(not that I have anything against such furniture!).
    There is a company called Advanced Plating, also in Tennessee. Frank Ford had recommended them: I didn't use them at the time, because they had just had a shop fire, and were temporarily out of business. They're back up and running. A family member, who's work is top end auto restoration, swears by Advanced Plating, so, that's my suggestion.

Ask at a custom motorcycle shop. They probably work with custom plating all the time.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

How about asking Bill James (Axiom, inc.)? Their plating is very nice, fine-grained satin surface, and they seem to be able to do it without losing the crisp engraving detail on the James tailpieces.

I am not sure why you want to replate your tailpiece cover. That is what they look like. Here is mine from my Artist mandolin. I suppose you could polish it a bit but I can't see replating. Yours looks better than mine, but I like the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_tailpiece_HI.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	182041  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Years ago I had a similarly small item electroless nickle plated. It came out with a very nice low gloss satin finish. It is possible that these tailpiece covers were originally plated using this method. In your situation, if you decide you really want to re-plate it, I'd look into a source for this type of plating work. I agree with Jim though, to me your cover doesn't look to be in bad condition.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

You can DIY. There are multiple videos on YouTube. All you need is cheap stuff like an old cell phone charger, a mason jar, vinegar, salt, a nickel anode (about $5-10 on eBay or Amazon) and a few other simple things.

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    You can DIY. There are multiple videos on YouTube. All you need is cheap stuff like an old cell phone charger, a mason jar, vinegar, salt, a nickel anode (about $5-10 on eBay or Amazon) and a few other simple things.
    I've tried it - there are a lot of things that can go wrong, and which are essentially impossible to reverse when they do.

This proves you can't judge taste -- either mine or yours. If you like mine, would you want to trade?

Nickel plating is nickel plating. The satin comes from the clear coat and not the plating. Clean it, buff it then clear coat it with a rattle can lacquer of your desirable finish. I plate a lot of parts including bridges that I fabricate and most plating companies have a minimum batch price which may not make it wirthwhile. Also, they are going to strip and clean that in some pretty harsh chemicals and you might find that the material wont hold up to that process. Asks a lot of questions if you take it to a plater about compatibility. They will most likely coat it with copper first so the nickel has something to stick to. That's why many DIY kits don't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    This proves you can't judge taste -- either mine or yours. If you like mine, would you want to trade?
    Nah, mine has been with my Artist probably since 1921—they all seem to be dated from that year.

Name:	BaconFTBK.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	182048
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nah, mine has been with my Artist probably since 1921—they all seem to be dated from that year.

Name:	BaconFTBK.jpg 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	182048
    Your Bacon was nicely kept, even before you acquired it. Mine looked like it was tied to a chimney during a hurricane.

15. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    Your Bacon was nicely kept, even before you acquired it. Mine looked like it was tied to a chimney during a hurricane.
    I would love to see photos before and after. Was there water damage? The tp cover looks like it survived the storm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I would love to see photos before and after. Was there water damage? The tp cover looks like it survived the storm.
    Here's the "before" photo:

Name:	Bacon before.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	182165

Here's the "after" photo. Portland Fret Works (http://www.portlandfretworks.com/) refinished the top, reglued the binding, anchored the flapping pick guard, repositioned the bridge and replaced the shot tuners with similar ones from StewMac. Then, at my request, they added another pearl-inlay dot on fretboard and a corresponding black dot in the binding.

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg 
Size:	509.7 KB 
ID:	182170

That's not correct. Plating, nickel or otherwise, just replicates the surface quality beneath. If you want high gloss, the metal must be highly polished before plating. If you want satin, the metal is usually sandblasted with a fine grit for that effect. For example, Gibson Granada banjo armrests had areas of satin and areas of gloss. After polishing, hand engraving was added to define the shiny areas which were taped off, then the armrest was sandblasted before gold plating to achieve the effect.
    Another vote for not replating your beautiful tailpiece, by the way.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Mirken For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

IMHO, the body refinish was done with tasteful restraint, meaning there's a hint of patina and no "showroom-new" glosss. I'll join the folks urging equal restraint on the TP cover: it looks darn nice just as is.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

22. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Ditto to what Greg Mirken said about satin vs high gloss plating. It most certainly is not clear coat making the difference.

24. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    IMHO, the body refinish was done with tasteful restraint, meaning there's a hint of patina and no "showroom-new" gloss. I'll join the folks urging equal restraint on the TP cover: it looks darn nice just as is.
    I've learned since I posted this that the re-plating process could harm the lovely figuring that Bacon put on its tailpiece covers. I don't want that to risk that. So, I am giving up my re-plating idea. I agree with you that the tailpiece cover looks good as it is. It fits with the general look of this 98-year-old instrument.

Thanks to all for chiming in.

26. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mirken View Post
    That's not correct. Plating, nickel or otherwise, just replicates the surface quality beneath. If you want high gloss, the metal must be highly polished before plating. If you want satin, the metal is usually sandblasted with a fine grit for that effect. For example, Gibson Granada banjo armrests had areas of satin and areas of gloss. After polishing, hand engraving was added to define the shiny areas which were taped off, then the armrest was sandblasted before gold plating to achieve the effect.
    Another vote for not replating your beautiful tailpiece, by the way.
    Greg is right on this. Plating shops that offer anything less than high gloss will have some way of degrading the finish after plating. Plating over sandblast works well, also sandblast over plating for a less reflective surface. In any case the old nickel must first be removed, chemically or mechanically.

Blog Entries

Sorry to be a party pooper but that finish should've been left alone on that bacon! Not a whole lot of those original Artist models signed by William Place! But that my opinion anyway! Sure it may look nicer "to some" but now worth less than half since that was done at least to me and the multitude of serious dealers! I liked the chimney chew!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Sorry to be a party pooper but that finish should've been left alone on that bacon! Not a whole lot of those original Artist models signed by William Place! But that my opinion anyway! Sure it may look nicer "to some" but now worth less than half since that was done at least to me and the multitude of serious dealers! I liked the chimney chew!
    As I said earlier, there's no way to judge taste -- yours or mine.