Thread: How to record mandolin

Default How to record mandolin

I want to start making videos and need some advice. I would like to make a split screen video one screen guitar the other mandolin. My questions, are you recording with a stand alone mic or is the instrument run through a board? As far as splitting the screen on a video, what kind if camera is needed? What are you mixing through ? Any programs you guys use and are happy with?
    Thank you very much for you ideas,
    Donn

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: How to record mandolin

I'm primitive. With acoustic axes, I just stick a mike in front of the instrument. There's probably a hipper way.

Here are some mando recordings I did that way maybe five or six years ago, when I was just getting started with mando:

Mandomonium

(Note the clicking and tapping that goes with a lot of those mando notes. That was my first mando, a $50 used Fender that had a pickup right under where the pick hits the strings. Hit a note and >click!<.)

Anyhow, some people use two different mics or a transducer and a mic and then fool around with the mix. Seems fussy, but it's probably a boon for those whose careers (or dignity) depend on it.

Default Re: How to record mandolin

There's an app called "Acapella" that you can get for your phone or tablet that does the split screen thing.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel