Thread: Lamar Grier passes

Default Lamar Grier passes

Former Bluegrass Boy, banjo player Lamar Grier passed Tuesday at 81 years of age.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/lamar-grier-passes/

Default Re: Lamar Grier passes

Sad news. I'd seen his name in the credits of several Rinzler-annotated Monroe albums, but the first time I really noticed his playing was on the Hazel Dickens/Alice Foster (or Gerrard, when she retook her maiden name) LP, Who's That Knocking, originally released on Verve in 1965, later on Verve/Folkways. I think this was the first BG album I heard that strongly emphasized women's voices; it also featured some great musicians -- David Grisman, Chubby Wise. Grier was a very strong presence on the recording.

We're losin' 'em, one by one...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

RIP

First heard him on a Monroe record and was an instant fan. I allways wished he would record with his son David. That didn‘t happen. Funny that a banjopicker (predudice mode on) would work at a hush hush US agency.

Now LG and Ivan Kelsall (who obviously had met LG on the BM trip to the UK in the 60ies) are hopefully slinging some serious banjo in the great beyond.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Sad to hear this news, he's definitely one of the greats. I first heard him on Monroe's Bluegrass Time record, also on an old Buzz Busby and Leon Morris album which is one of my all-time favorite bluegrass recordings. RIP Mr. Grier, you left us a lot of great music and memories.

I've been a fan of David Grier for many years. I knew he came from a musical family, but I didn't know anything specific about his dad. Thanks for sharing this sad news.

I was just thinking the same about Ivan! RIP boys, pick a few with the rest of the ethereal band!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett