Thread: waverlys

I just put some A style waverlys on my bouzouki. But in order to line up the screw holes that were already there I had to just switch the left ones with the right ones. So the problem is now i have to turn the nobs the different way from what im used to on my other instruments. The simnoff book actually has shots of the gears above the tuners too.
    Now Can this affect the tuning machines , or the performance of the tuning machiines?

2. Would you if you were me simply drill eight new holes to install them on the right side?

Somehow I doubt the machine cares whether its deemed to be backwards or not.
    if knob turns the capstan smoothly enough, its doing its lifes work.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that there are some mandos that are set up that way.. I doubt it would be a problem.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I think the issue that is raised here is that Waverly tuners have a different hole diameter and spacing than most "modern" tuners. My understandng is that they are designed to be replacements for vintage tuners, even though they are excellent on a new mando, albiet overpriced.

The spacing is the same as modern tuners, the bushing size is different. I'd like to see waverlys with the worm gear on the other side of the post, an 18:1 gear ratio, and slightly concave posts so that the strings wind on easier. Oh, and a lower price.

There's a reason the industry switched from having the worm below the cog to having it above, and that's because the string tension takes up the backlash the latter way. In other words, the gears work demonstrably better. To install a set of Waverlys upside down to preserve screwholes seems a bit unusual, but I surmise you're really meaning you wanted the modern plate to cover the footprint of the other one? Or was it really just about screwholes? That's a lot of money to spend on tuners that you functionally sabotage by installing the backwards.

The problem with drilling new holes for the eight posts is that you will have a significantly weakened headstock by doing so. If you were referring only to screwholes, I wouldn't think twice.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Waverly mando tuners never made that switch. As I said before they could make some improvments. If by flipping them around you have made the worm above the cog then you may have actually improved them functionally (except for the buttons turning the wrong way).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2315c.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	10224  

Paul, do you mean that they cast their lot with the PRE 27' crowd? #I've never seen Waverly mandolin tuners with the worm above the cog. They seem intended as replacements for Loars era tuners 22'-24'ish. My pic above is a set of waverlys clearly designed for the "vintage heads".

Say, where did Paul's last post go?

I gave it the hook when I realized I was upside down!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net