Just changed my first mandolin strings on a friends mandolin. My friend had an old Suzuki (model 100) that I borrowed to get a feel for a flat, violin scale fretboard. While in my possession I decided to clean it up and change the strings. Never having done that before I came to the Cafe for a little guidance and found this post. I used the information posted by Sblock in post #4 to make it a relatively painless job even though I had to contend with a hinged tailpiece that required me to bend the strings to get the loops to attach. My friend just wants the mandolin as wall art so I didn't tune the strings all the way up to pitch but I'm happy with the way that everything turned out.

Rob