Thread: Late 30s A1 Gibson

Default Late 30s A1 Gibson

I think this is an A1- not an A50 judging by its fingerboard/neck and tailpiece. However, I may be wrong. This seems to pre-date the use by Gibson of Kluson tuners and Phillips screws- the latter started in 1939. The case is G & S- which changed to Geib in 1937, I think although it may not be original although I think it is. The FON number appears to be possibly the early 40s. Mandolin may be in okay condition and there is no shortage of photos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GIB...AAAOSw~8ld8HVA

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Late 30s A1 Gibson

The factory order number 732 B indicates an instrument built in 1936 [A=1935, B='36, C='37, etc., through G in 1941].
    It will be interesting getting the old duct tape glue off the neck without damaging the finish. It can be done, though.

Now, that explains things- I thought that B was an H! That makes complete sense- as 1936 fits neatly into all the obvious dating clues- rather than the H which is in the 1940s.

Teacher, repair person

In the picture it can easily be mistaken for an "H", but the seller lists it as a "B" in his title. We'll assume that he can see it better in person than we can on a screen. [At least in this case . . .]

Somehow, I was so busy with the photos that I missed the fact that the FON was in the title! I see the price has advanced more than a little!

Teacher, repair person

Potential buyers, please note the extensive disclaimers in the seller's copy.
    I'll also add that the seller has certainly provided plenty of pictures.
    But bear in mind that once you pull the trigger, it's yours.

I don't think it looks in terrible shape for its age, unless there are internal issues most things look to be cosmetic. Could be a gem or could sound awful.

The seller has sold three mandolins- one a beaten up Regal that I bought and featured here and an old Gibson A2 (from memory). The same disclaimers were present in all these auctions and are probably a standard part of the listing- as on this one. Clearly, when buying any instrument the words "buyer beware" are relevant. My Regal- which looked ghastly in the photos has actually turned out to be a great playing and sounding instrument. That does not mean that this Gibson ill prove to be the same but I do not see signs that would cause me serious alarm. However, I agree, once you have won the auction- it is your baby to nurse as required. Here is the Regal below- via the link. What was annoying was that the mandolin had no strings with the bridge taped to its top. Somehow, and I don't suppose it was difficult- the bridge went missing- fitting a bridge was the biggest job I had- gluing the back down where it had lifted was simple and quick.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...87#post1738487

Sold for $625 plus shipping. NFI.

After all, it is an "8 String Teardrop Mandolin Guitar.......!"
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Dec-18-2019 at 11:05am.