Thread: Gibson F5G nut width?

Default Gibson F5G nut width?

Have been looking at some of the used Gibson F5G models out there and noticed that most of the time they are listed as having a 1" nut width. A quick search seems to indicate 1 1/16" was standard and 1 3/16" was custom wide.

So were/are these narrower than 1 1/8" on average? Or did it change from year to year depending on who was in charge?

Not really thinking about it, but anything narrower than 1 1/8" would rule them out for me.

Thanks.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Default Re: Gibson F5G nut width?

Standard nut width on the F-5g is 1 1/16".

There was a special run of them made in the pre-flood days with a wide fingerboard like the Sam Bush model (these are easily recognizable with the block inlays). The fingerboard on these is flat, not radiused like the Bush.

The Mandolin Store, I believe, may have sold some customized versions with wider/radiused fingerboards (though these probably weren't labeled as "F-5g's").

3. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Teacher, repair person

All the ones I have seen had narrow nuts and steep sided necks. They may have made a few with wide fingerboards, but those would be an exception and probably hard to find.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I bought a Custom F5G from a third party. When I contacted the Mandolin Store about it, they confirmed everything including the original owner it was built for. It has the radius board, wide nut, (1 3/16") is fully bound, and has a pick-guard. Dave Harvey signed. The Mandolin Store gave me a lot more information than I received thru a phone call to Gibson in Nashville, including the MSRP new. I love it. If I'd have looked closer inside, the name of the original owner is there. The guy I spoke with at the Mandolin Store had some great things to say about Dave Harvey.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post: