Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical nerd roll call: Lyon & Healy archtops

Default Re: Classical nerd roll call: Lyon & Healy archtops

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Yeah, but without the personal connection among comrades here. Ah well . . .

(That cello is yummy.)
    Frank Ford is a comrade here and, from time to time, does post in these forums.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Eugene 

Because . . . why not?!

I admit: I'm a bowlback-fan kinda guy, especially of the Neapolitan type. However, I've been bitten by the elegance inherent in Lyon & Healy's (L&H) approach to archtop mandolins. Their Neapolitan-like later scale length; classically understated, Deco-era elegance; and quality of materials and sound have attracted many other fans of classical music as well.

I sold a 1926 L&H style C in January. I'm not sure why, but I never took photos of the style C and so cannot share. However, I sold the C in order to finance scoring this 1922 style A.

I've shared. Now, what you got?
    I was searching for an old thread which might describe the difference between playing a bowlback vrs an arched top - to share my experience - and came across this thread. I have been playing my coveted L&H Model A for many months now and just began playing a bowlback - kind of the opposite of Eugene’s experience. I wanted to share that I always assumed adjusting to a bowlback would be a nightmare. I am happy to share that, for me, the bowlback took zero adaption time and is totally delightful to play. I share this for anyone who is considering their first bowlback!

I've shared. Now, what you got?
    This isn't mine, but belongs to a friend of mine and I get to play it when I visit out that way. A Lyon & Healy "De Pace" model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fraulini-orpheum-lyon & healy de pace-fiddle.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	183875

Name:	IMG-0380.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	183876

5. The following members say thank you to frankie for this post:

Eugene 

Those De Paces are pretty rare but visually and aesthetically they look odd to me. I guess if you play most of the time in the nether regions, they are what you want.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Those De Paces are pretty rare but visually and aesthetically they look odd to me. I guess if you play most of the time in the nether regions, they are what you want.
    Agreed, James. That is one strange looking design, but I sure would enjoy stopping by and playing it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Agreed, James. That is one strange looking design, but I sure would enjoy stopping by and playing it.

Mick
    I have a feeling it may be in Wisconsin, for some reason.

Here's a L&H ad featuring DePace in his clown costume. The mandolin looks like a standard one.

Name:	LH-DePace.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	183877

Here is one that was listed on Mandolin Brothers site around 2011:

From the photos it looks like this may have a deeper body than the standard model. Stan says it was labelled as Style 5283 which is the number used for Style A Professionals under the Washburn label.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28800.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	183878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28820.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	183880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28811.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	183879  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nobody would describe it as particularly warm sounding, but it projects well, has a nice bright sound and plays great. I'm not crazy about the scroll headstock - seems to add more weight than is really necessary. I agree about the overall aesthetics - the 14 fret neck/body join really throws off the nice sense of proportion that the regular style A displays. Is there any other mandolin with this particular design feature? Can't recall any...

Agreed on the de Pace visual aesthetic. All off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I wanted to share that I always assumed adjusting to a bowlback would be a nightmare. I am happy to share that, for me, the bowlback took zero adaption time and is totally delightful to play. I share this for anyone who is considering their first bowlback!
    Cheers! That bowlback profile is still the friendliest to my own right arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I wanted to share that I always assumed adjusting to a bowlback would be a nightmare. I am happy to share that, for me, the bowlback took zero adaption time and is totally delightful to play. I share this for anyone who is considering their first bowlback!
    My experience was similar however I am the first to warn others, depending on their adaptability and motivation, that I know many players who gave up on that quest even after spending large amounts of money for a quality instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: