Thread: Info on Boeh Mandolins?

Default Info on Boeh Mandolins?

Just saw an A-style Boeh mandolin that got snatched up mighty quick in the classifieds for a deeply discounted price.

Anyone have any experience with any of Steve's F style mandolins? Based on the info on his website and the photos they really look like one of the nicest domestic F's sub $3,000 that you could get your hands on but I don't ever recall seeing his name pop up in the typical "best F styles under $2500" forum postings that seem to pop up.

The videos with the A's sound pretty decent, but it seems to be either a phone or video camera recording and there isn't anything in the way of mic'ed performance clips out there.

His black top F5 #23 and F5 #11 are particularly gorgeous...and he had a custom green mando to boot.

2. The following members say thank you to redlineroots for this post:

Gunnar 

Default Re: Info on Boeh Mandolins?

I don't know, but that was a beautiful mandolin that got bought really quickly, and the new owner just posted about it in the video picture and sound file category
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    I don't know, but that was a beautiful mandolin that got bought really quickly, and the new owner just posted about it in the video picture and sound file category
    Haha. Indeed! I think a lot of us were thinking “ahhh, someone beat me to it!”

That back is gorgeous and despite what I suspect is another phone video, it sounds great.

5. The following members say thank you to redlineroots for this post:

Gunnar 

Steve built an F style for me and it's a really nice mandolin. He seems to always find really nice looking wood. Fit and finish are not to the level of the uber pricey mandos, but I had an early build and I am sure he has improved his game. Very pleased with the sound. He is a super nice guy and is easy to work with during the build process. Cant beat the price for a handmade F style.

7. The following members say thank you to d18daddy for this post:

Gunnar 

Quote Originally Posted by d18daddy View Post
    Steve built an F style for me and it's a really nice mandolin. He seems to always find really nice looking wood. Fit and finish are not to the level of the uber pricey mandos, but I had an early build and I am sure he has improved his game. Very pleased with the sound. He is a super nice guy and is easy to work with during the build process. Cant beat the price for a handmade F style.
    I don't suppose there are any clips out there of the sound of your F are there?

9. The following members say thank you to redlineroots for this post:

Gunnar 

Sorry, no. The mandolin player in my band is using it now, so it's not handy to me.

He had an F model that I played when I picked up the A5 and it had a very similar tone and playability.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V