Thread: Older Eastmans

Default Older Eastmans

Hi Everyone,
    I know that older Kentucky's are quite different over the years. I may be able buy an Eastman 505 and I think it's a 2006. Are they any significant differences than the ones made today?

Thanks,
    Nick

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Older Eastmans

I don't know how an older one might compare with this year's product, but I had a 2008 or '09 model 505 come through here a couple of years ago, and it was quite a good mandolin.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I know that older Kentucky's are quite different over the years. I may be able buy an Eastman 505 and I think it's a 2006. Are they any significant differences than the ones made today?

Thanks,
    Nick
    the older Eastman models had super-comfortable necks compared to their offerings today. strangely enough it's the same thing with the Kentucky mandolins of that era. i don't know who convinced these two Asian companies to start making mandolins with clubby, poorly tapered necks but as far as I can tell they abandoned their Loar-inspired (the real Loars that is) neck profiles around the same time. 'tis sad...

5. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

nlopez 

I owned a 2006 505 model for a few years. A very good mandolin but not a great one. When they came out with the 305 models, I played a couple and they both had more character than my 505 (even after CA bridge upgrade). That was my experience, and of course YMMV.

Thanks Caleb. I took a pass on it.