Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday picking sessions at my house are keeping me alive...

Default Re: Sunday picking sessions at my house are keeping me alive...

“Back East they say it’s out West, out West they say it’s back East...”
    Chuck

So I tried to invite this older couple - he sings and plays guitar, she plays banjo - to my house for a picking session and a meal... and they said, no you're coming to our house and we're cooking for you.

How lovely are some people? We had us a blast picking on old Uncle Dave Macon tunes and what have you. Just what I needed on a day when I wasn't doing so hot.

3. The following members say thank you to mojocaster for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a good time. I'd come by some Sunday, but I expect it'd be a looong drive. And I work Sundays. That IS one thing I miss about the Northeast - lots of musical get-togethers. There were a couple of monthly gatherings - potluck and hootenanny - that I went to regularly. Kept me in touch with people as well as music. I would usually bring my mandolin to any party I got invited to, just in case. Around here, no one seems to jam. About all the musicians I know here are working, and when they get home they're off the clock, won't pick up their instruments until the next gig. Kind of sad, really. So I don't know what Br1ck is thinking. Probably been subjected to too much Hollywood ballyhoo. Like most of us. My experience in this area is ... other.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It was a great time. I do 300+ gigs a year, so you'd think I have enough, but these gathering are first about connecting as people - which is why I always cook for them and we get to share a meal. Then we play. And somehow, it seems to put a different stamp on the whole affair. By the time we get to play, it's just a continuation of that connection between people. I just love the simple happiness it puts in my heart, every time. Never fails.

Well, here goes, we all like to think there is someplace idealic, where that that we wish for exists, or existed at some time, where folks gathered around on summer evenings and picked tunes with neighbors and friends, where in fact life was hard, houses remote, food scarce. So where best to project this idealic fantasy but the geographical source of the type of music we aspire to play? And in reality, I’ve been checking camps and festivals and there are a lot of them in the Southeast. Broad brush I know.

And it doesn’t look right to spell idealic like that but iPad says so.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Merriam Webster says 'idyllic'. Those computer geeks can't spell, haven't you seen autocorrect?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    You know, I’d like to keep my illusion that the whole Southeast is rife with mandolin pickers of every ilk, and every little Mom and Pop store has eight or ten for sale, and there’s a jam on every block on someone’s front porch. So guys, just fake it for me will ya?
    Oh, the buzzin' of the bees in the cigarette trees
    The soda water fountain
    Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
    In that Big Rock Candy Mountain
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Meanwhile, I'm in Maine :D

I have run a monthly OT session at a farm near my house for over a dozen years. We have another one run by a good friend a little farther north. There are scattered about some Irish sessions and lately I have been diving into Québécois music. Another friend has been running that session from her house for at least 6 years or so and a second one just started a little closer to New York City. Still, I also find a need to play with a few folks to really hear each other and sometimes the ideal is just a duet. Luckily I have lots of music friends and we do get together for these kitchen sessions like mojocaster describes. That is the added joy of the music I love: it is full of friendship and community.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I loved what I call the kitchen table jams! All that stuff about music, friendship, and community can be true. It was a nice counterpoint to the regular band thing.

I've moved around a lot since those days (about 15 yrs ago), so I haven't had an established community of fellow musos around me like before, but...someday!

Great topic.

13. The following members say thank you to kookaburra for this post:

Now I can expand my delusion to cover the Norteast too. Next someone’s going to tell me about the monthly jam in the parking lot at the four corners.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Ha ha ha, i'd take part in that jam! Meanwhile, I gotta start cooking. Serving cassoulet tomorrow, can't wait!

It takes some effort and persistence and a whole lot of luck to find people that fit your own musical goals. I fear my finding two or three others that share my vision of writing original material, are multi instrumental, better than me but not so mush they don’t want to play with me, sing harmony as well as lead, and have unlimited time and the desire to get better, is a long shot at best. Oh, and they need to be ok with my bucket list band name, Geezerville. Surprising how that last one eliminates prospects.

I’d like to play some guitar, some mandolin, some bass, dust off the Dobro, and have at least three part harmony. Throw in some old time favorites and a Zepplin tune or two. Is that too mush to ask? Oh, and they have to have a tolerance to go to the dark side. In return I’m willing to play a hymn or two. Willing prospects apply here.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Ha ha ha ha, thank you for the comedy