Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prettiest A model I have seen in a while

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Prettiest A model I have seen in a while

How does it compare in your mind with your early Pava?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    How does it compare in your mind with your early Pava?
    Not a fair comparison. Totally different instruments.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Not a fair comparison. Totally different instruments.
    Aren’t they all? My impression was that the early Pava A5’s were made with essentially the same division of labor as the Ellis A5’s of the time. Just curious.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

There are certain consistencies that a particular builder/shop that we come to expect, so yes, they are all different, but a competent builder can shape the tonal qualities of an instrument to meet a player's preferences.

That said, if I had to compare my former Pava to this Ellis, I'd say the Pava was voiced more towards traditional "Gibsonesque" tone (read as "bluegrass"), and this one, close to ten years later, has more of a contemporary voice. The Pava never worked for playing Irish sessions or even old times ringing triads (think Angeline the Baker in D). It would get lost in a sea of guitars at a jam, no matter what strings I tried (although thinking back I probably should have tried John Pearse strings on it, now that I think of it).

I don't think it's the division of labor that creates the tonal qualities on an instrument. It is the voicing that creates the character that we hear, or at least a large part of it. The rest is left to technique (player style), strings, picks, and anything else that the individual owner/player brings to the mandolin as an outside influence.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I don't think it's the division of labor that creates the tonal qualities on an instrument. It is the voicing that creates the character that we hear, or at least a large part of it.
    Thanks for the more elaborate response, Mary. I was including the voicer in the division of labor.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...59#post1279059
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I think Tom voices some of them differently. TME had another A5 recently, which I played which was nothing like this one. In fact, before I drove down there I called and spoke to Andy Cambria and asked him what the voice was like on this one. He told me it was different than the one they had just sold, more overtones. Which was what I was looking for. It does not disappoint. And it has what appears to be a subtle speed neck.

Interesting. Has Tom built any A5’s as part of his Traditional line? I was under the impression that he developed that option as an alternative to his usual voicing, which is noted for its complex overtones.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Not that I know of, but I've played a few Traditional F5's. I thought they were more contemporary sounding than his other mandolins. The torrified tops give them more or a "presence" for lack of a better word. They have a more fundamental voice. More volume. It's a different expectation, again. As they say, variety is what makes life interesting.

Mary, since you’re talking voicing, could you compare/contrast the Ellis to your Heiden?

11. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Mary, since you’re talking voicing, could you compare/contrast the Ellis to your Heiden?
    I’m not sure it’s fair to even compare them. I’ve had the Ellis for less than a day.

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Fair enough. I’ll just have to be patient.

Looks like another one with tortoise binding has just been posted at The Music Emporium. These are beautiful mandolins.
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...gbird_sunburst