Thread: Kris Kristofferson: the Austin Sessions...

Default Kris Kristofferson: the Austin Sessions...

Listening to KK today. In 2017, he published a record called the Austin Sessions, and there are beautiful uses of mandolin all over the record. Nothing remarkably flashy, but subtle and tasty song enhancements. Which is my goal in learning the mandolin. Nothing against fiddle tunes - heck, I'm from the original Celtic nation! - but mostly I'm learning it to add to my recordings of original tunes in ye olde home studio.

Anyway... enjoy.

Default Re: Kris Kristofferson: the Austin Sessions...

Learn the fiddle tunes, as they will come in handy when trying to come up with licks to flesh out songs. They are also all full of arpeggios, scales, etc. It's a good way to learn the fretboard, and you never know, you might enjoy.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice!

I like some fiddle tunes - in small doses.
    But I read here many years ago - “have you ever met someone who could play a bunch of fiddle tunes and couldn’t play the Mandolin?”
    Sounded like good advise.

Kirk

PS - I share your enthusiasm for that disc.
    Really good versions of some classic songs

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post
    I like some fiddle tunes - in small doses.
    But I read here many years ago - “have you ever met someone who could play a bunch of fiddle tunes and couldn’t play the Mandolin?”
    Sounded like good advise.

Kirk
    Ha ha, that's some funny stuff :D

I didn't mean to say I didn't enjoy fiddle tunes. They're simply not the reason why I play the mandolin. I love what it adds sonically to a tune, but I have to be honest: I'm a song-first kinda guy. Every instrument needs to support the song and never take away from it. That's why I love people like Mike Campbell and all those guys who could play more notes - not don't. Because deep down, they inherently know it's now about them, it's about the song.

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Listening to KK today. In 2017, he published a record called the Austin Sessions, and there are beautiful uses of mandolin all over the record. Nothing remarkably flashy, but subtle and tasty song enhancements. Which is my goal in learning the mandolin. Nothing against fiddle tunes - heck, I'm from the original Celtic nation! - but mostly I'm learning it to add to my recordings of original tunes in ye olde home studio.

Anyway... enjoy.
    The "original Celtic nation"? Western Asia? Galatia? The area north of Greece?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Brittany

Actually, I thought the Celts emanated originally from the Upper Danube region, then spread out into Brittany, Spain, Ireland and Britain. But there are a lot of different theories. Celtic culture was fairly widespread especially at the time of Caesar.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Listen, you may actually be right... but I'm from Brittany, and we're not changing our tune Of which, when i was growing up there, the largest Celtic music festival in the world was in my hometown of Lorient. Maybe some other festival somewhere took over first place, but what a hoot every year, to see all those musicians descend upon our little town and LIGHT IT UP!