Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like this site but for guitar....

Default Like this site but for guitar....

For you guitar players out there: Is there a site similar to this one but for guitar? With news, discussion, learning resources? What are your favorite guitar sites?
    Eastman MD315

Default Re: Like this site but for guitar....

I used to go to ' the acoustic guitar forum', but don't visit much any more. There are folks from here that I have seen responding there too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Personally, I found Acoustic Guitar's forum hard to navigate and not very useful. Other disappointments include Harmony Central and Just Plain Folks.

Pops1 is right, a lot of the same folks that hang out at those places are active on other, better, forums, like this one.

I don't use it, but a lot of people like The Gear Page.

There are other forums that I like but have limited utility, like Jugband, Let's Talk Guild, Reso Hangout, and the Unofficial Martin Forum.

My favorite by far is TDPRI. Despite the T-for-Telecaster, it's not just for Tele players. It's lively, informative, well moderated, and user-friendly.

5. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I got a few guitars!

I used to go to the AGF and also the unofficial martin guitar forum. These are a bit dated in their interface; however.

Want to discuss, Gibson, Taylor or Martin. That's what I've boiled my guitars to. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Yeah - Acoustic Guitar Forum is the best I've found so far, but leaves something to be desired, which is why I started this tread
    Eastman MD315

AGF and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum are the ones I visit daily.

I tend to prefer the UMGF.

10. The following members say thank you to oliverkollar for this post:

===========

I have never found a 'general' guitar forum that I was wild about - so I used to simply visit sites that were specific to certain guitars that I was learning about; (Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Les Paul, etc.). To be expected, there was a cross-section of snobs and know-it-all's, but overall they were able to give me good information, when I needed it.

12. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Acoustic Guirar Forum lost me when someone asked about an obscure mandolin and I said if they posted here, someone should know. The post was in the lightly traveled other stringed instruments section. My post was disappeared and I got a PM from a monitor that if I read the rules I would know any mention of another forum was forbidden.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

14. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I'm interested to read the suggestions here too. I'm on and off with Acoustic Guitar Forum. I think it's a valuable resource with a lot of very knowledgable people. But sometimes it also feels crowded with repetitive threads and endless arguments about purely subjective side topics. If you can filter that stuff out and focus on what', great. Sometimes I need a break though.

16. The following members say thank you to AgentKooper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Personally, I found Acoustic Guitar's forum hard to navigate and not very useful. Other disappointments include Harmony Central and Just Plain Folks.

Pops1 is right, a lot of the same folks that hang out at those places are active on other, better, forums, like this one.

I don't use it, but a lot of people like The Gear Page.

There are other forums that I like but have limited utility, like Jugband, Let's Talk Guild, Reso Hangout, and the Unofficial Martin Forum.

My favorite by far is TDPRI. Despite the T-for-Telecaster, it's not just for Tele players. It's lively, informative, well moderated, and user-friendly.
    TDPRI is a great one. Lots of good stuff, even for non-Tele players.

TalkBass is decent, if you're a bass player. Those two and the Cafe are my only music-chat sites.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Acoustic Guitar Cabin is very friendly and not as "cranky" (for lack of a better term) as Acoustic Guitar Forum (I frequent both of these also.) I prefer the Cabin, but it is MUCH smaller than the Forum.

Forums are a mighty slippery slope for the most part, the majority of personal likes and dislikes will drive you bonkers trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. You could try http://acousticguitar.com/ ...you may like it, you may not.

Forums self perpetuate. Everything's subjective, nothing ever settled. As Bullwinkle says in the movie, why do we drive by the same town over and over?

Well, back by popular demand, what's so good about blue chip picks? And every guitar forum: Taylor vs Martin, please discuss. But what good fun we have. And unlike family, you can come and go as you like.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I enjoy "Strat Talk", "Epiphone Lounge" and the "unofficial Martin Guitar forum". I play Martin, Guild, Takamine, Fender and Epiphone guitars, along with Fender and Peavey Amps.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Am a member of UMGF. Rarely check it anymore. Same with the AGF. Am probably a member of a half dozen other instrument pages that I never check.

When I was exclusively playing guitar, used to be a member of flatick-l. That started back in the day of dial up internet. Ugh, I'm old.

These days seems it's the Café or nothing.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

There really isnt a guitar forum similar to this one. They all really know a whole lot about not to much. Or they know everything there is to know. About everything. Not sure how that works but anyways. If there more sites like this one. That would be great.

There are guitar players and collectors here. I for one but I could only give information from my experiences from what I own or have had.

It would be cool if there was a guitar section here since so many here play guitar, but then it wouldn’t be the Mandolin Cafe anymore.

I often use the AGF’s search feature when I want to know about a piece of gear, because pretty much everything has been discussed there a time or three.

The Larrivee forum is a good one, though very slow. But great folks there.

The only one I regularly post at is the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. The Collings Forum used to be ok as a niche forum for Collings afficinadoes, but it disappeared, came back about a year ago, but has never been active enough to hit a critical mass.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I have never found a 'general' guitar forum that I was wild about - so I used to simply visit sites that were specific to certain guitars that I was learning about; (Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Les Paul, etc.). To be expected, there was a cross-section of snobs and know-it-all's, but overall they were able to give me good information, when I needed it.
    That's why I mentioned TDPRI. Even though it's a Tele site, it actually has more traffic for general guitar discussion than a lot of other music sites.

Its Acoustic Heaven, forum, for instance, is pretty active.

The problem is that there are so many more guitarists than mando players. So sites specific to particular brands or types of guitars abound. The Gear Page has a Guitars in General forum, which might be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    When I was exclusively playing guitar, used to be a member of flatick-l. That started back in the day of dial up internet. Ugh, I'm old.
    Wow, those were some good days back on flatpick-l!! So far back I couldn't even put a date on it. It seemed so leading-edge at the time LOL.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

31. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:

So, Drake, have you found any you like yet?

Back in the day, when Harmony Central was using the same code as the Cafe, it was an amazing forum. Fast, very informative, great insights on deals and an absolute ton of great people.

Then management must have decided they didn't like being the most successful music forum in the world, so [I think] they [purposefully] set out to destroy it. Over the overwhelming protests of members they changed the forum software to something that was significantly worse than what they had. Many of the faithful stuck around in the hopes management would fix the problems. But I guess they weren't satisfied with the mess they made so management changed the software again making the forum even worse. This kept on until the forum was so slow, clunky and awkward most of the posters left leaving crickets behind. It stayed that way for years with management oblivious to the fact they destroyed their own golden goose. It should go down as a text book case in how to purposefully and knowingly destroy a hugely successful business.

Why do I bring it up? Because I dropped in there a few weeks ago and it appears HC has finally smelled the coffee and has replaced the forum code with something that appears to be working and some of the old members are creeping back. Not sure if it's your cuppa, but it might be worth checking them out as they had a very lively electric guitar forum and a descent acoustic one back in the day.

One caveat though - through all the nonsense Gibson took over and is the owner, although management insists they are not constrained to tow the Gibson corporate line.

I found out about the Cafe there, learned a ton and found a lot of great deals during the time I hung out with them.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Back in the day, when Harmony Central was using the same code as the Cafe, it was an amazing forum. Fast, very informative, great insights on deals and an absolute ton of great people.

Then management must have decided they didn't like being the most successful music forum in the world, so [I think] they [purposefully] set out to destroy it. Over the overwhelming protests of members they changed the forum software to something that was significantly worse than what they had. Many of the faithful stuck around in the hopes management would fix the problems. But I guess they weren't satisfied with the mess they made so management changed the software again making the forum even worse. This kept on until the forum was so slow, clunky and awkward most of the posters left leaving crickets behind. It stayed that way for years with management oblivious to the fact they destroyed their own golden goose. It should go down as a text book case in how to purposefully and knowingly destroy a hugely successful business.

Why do I bring it up? Because I dropped in there a few weeks ago and it appears HC has finally smelled the coffee and has replaced the forum code with something that appears to be working and some of the old members are creeping back. Not sure if it's your cuppa, but it might be worth checking them out as they had a very lively electric guitar forum and a descent acoustic one back in the day.

One caveat though - through all the nonsense Gibson took over and is the owner, although management insists they are not constrained to tow the Gibson corporate line.

I found out about the Cafe there, learned a ton and found a lot of great deals during the time I hung out with them.
    I remember HC; I used to read a lot there but never joined. Maybe I dropped in during its dud phase, but I remember it being a very rough crowd. Many times I saw people get ridiculed and called names for asking simple questions about gear, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I remember HC; I used to read a lot there but never joined. Maybe I dropped in during its dud phase, but I remember it being a very rough crowd. Many times I saw people get ridiculed and called names for asking simple questions about gear, etc.
    I've been online since around 1982 and have seen the "online consciousness" go through a number of phases. When the internet started becoming popular in the late 90s a lot of juveniles [of all ages] were using their anonymity to cause grief and HC was particularly hard hit at times, but there were a lot of people that were genuine and passionate about music that were willing to rise above the rabble. You needed a thick skin, to be sure - especially in the amp section. There's something about wanna-be amp builders that makes a bunch of hyper-active children seem like a walk-in-the-park. Sniffing too many solder fumes, perhaps?

With HC having been "down" for the past 10 years or so, one hopes the trouble-makers have either grownup or moved along. I haven't seen the types of things you're describing for awhile, but then there hasn't been many people there for them to goad and I only drop in occasionally. I think it's much harder to carry on now as they were as harassment isn't tolerated like it was and people should be understanding that there is no anonymity online as there's always a way to track you down to a physical location when necessary.

Not saying it's fixed or better, just that they finally seem to have figured out that their forum software drove their user base away and without users a forum is dead air and not worth maintaining.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -