Thread: Oval hole differences

Default Oval hole differences

Ok....backstory.

I have an Eastman MD404 that is pretty nice. Love the sound. Got it and never researched it much, just enjoyed it. I researched it last night when looking at some specs and see the back is Mahogany. I'm good with the tone, nice sound.

My question is not F style vs. oval, my question is the difference in sound in oval holes...from Mahogany to Spruce for example.

I like the oval sound, just unsure of the difference in material sound differences...say between it and a Eastman 514.

Thanks.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Oval hole differences

Typically, maple is associated with a brighter tone and mahogany a warmer one.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Agree that maple is usually brighter and mahogany is usually sweeter, but there are so many variables that go into making a mandolin sound like it does that I don't think you can take just one of those variables (wood species) and expect a uniform sound result just because of that one thing. Your best tool is your ear. Play as many different mandolins as you can get your hands on including from as many different builders as you can, and then identify the ones that speak to you. Sorry to not give an easy answer, but the search will be fun.
    Peace

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'll defer to others on wood and how it affects tone. I just have my one oval hole mandolin, any more and it's birch sides and back. I have had maple before, but notice little in those regards.

I think, "Oval Hole" mandolins are in two primary families. Those with the more conventional 12-fret neck joint/transverse bracing (and corresponding fret board in contact with the top) and those with something more than a 12-fret neck joint (heck, we see them at 13-, 14-, and 15-fret neck joints). These, "Hybrid" oval hole mandolins have an elevated fretboard (i.e., more like an A-5 style). The hybrids are sometimes x-braced, or something other than transverse.

If we keep with conventional or hybrid, then we can discuss wood tone. If we mix them all up together, then we'll get confused.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I think, "Oval Hole" mandolins are in two primary families. Those with the more conventional 12-fret neck joint/transverse bracing (and corresponding fret board in contact with the top) and those with something more than a 12-fret neck joint (heck, we see them at 13-, 14-, and 15-fret neck joints). These, "Hybrid" oval hole mandolins have an elevated fretboard (i.e., more like an A-5 style). The hybrids are sometimes x-braced, or something other than transverse.

If we keep with conventional or hybrid, then we can discuss wood tone. If we mix them all up together, then we'll get confused.

f-d
    100% agreed. I do like my hybrid Oval a lot, very different from an oval without elevated fretboard
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

7. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

There is also the flat or cant top oval. They have a similar, but different sound than a carved top with either neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I find mahogany to be a darker, more focused warm tone, with emphasis on the middle pitches rather than the bass or treble. That said, I think that it has a slightly deeper base tone than maple, while maple with its emphasis on brightness, is a more complete tonal spectrum. Maple is punchier, has more sustain and clarity in pitches.The oval hole itself contrasted with f holes has its own influence, but these wood qualities apply similarly. This is what comes to mind from my experience with mandolins, but particularly with guitars.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I had a mahogany back and sides oval hole Weber Custom Gallatin F - comparing it to all my other oval hole mandolins, which have had maple back and sides, I always found the mahogany to be light and sweet sounding, with not quite the volume of my maple back and sides ovals.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post: