Thread: Amazing Musical Instrument Company Electric Mando

Default Amazing Musical Instrument Company Electric Mando

I am looking for info on this electric Mando I bought on ebay. The only info I could find was on emando.com. Company was out of Toronto in the '80s and made mostly electric violins.
    Anybody know more?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	727.0 KB 
ID:	181676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	181675  

Default Re: Amazing Musical Instrument Company Electric Mando

Well, there isn't much else to know. The instrument has just a piezo pickup, not a magnetic one. I think the body is the same one Amazing used for its violins, although of course the neck is different. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 of these mandolins over the past 25 years. I presume they made more violins than mandos, although the violins aren't very common either.

How does it sound?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wow, that is AMAZING
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I have not played it yet. Took it right over to my electric guitar guru for a set up. Very interested to hear it.

Well, I was looking at it too ... I probably would've tried to get a luthier to add a magnetic pickup to it. I think I recall seeing one other one that had been modified in that fashion.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I will try it out with the Piezo first. It will only be for my own enjoyment.

I probably would've tried to get a luthier to add a magnetic pickup to it
    I bought a flat humbucker from a Swiss kid on Etsy for a similar project a couple of years ago. It sounds really nice! I'll see if I can dig up his info

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Well, I was looking at it too ... I probably would've tried to get a luthier to add a magnetic pickup to it. I think I recall seeing one other one that had been modified in that fashion.
    That was probably me. I own an Amazing emando -- much the same as the OP has, but in red rather than blue. Same sort of hard case. There's a lot of discussion as to how I modified mine in this old thread:

Link

In brief, I replaced the original piezo with two new pickups, a rail-type mini humbucker and an undersaddle piezo with on-board pre-amp, each with separate controls and separate jacks. Works fine and can be used to generate a wide range of tones, although I don't play it much these days as I tend towards the acoustic end. I probably should check if the battery for the piezo pre-amp is still OK or whether it has leaked...

I really like the design of these, but they will never become collectables because of the name -- try to find useful information online with the search term "Amazing mandolin"!

Martin

Thanks for the link and nice job on the conversion. I like the red color of the body. You have given me some options to think about. I saw a pic of the violin in the MOMA. Did you ask the maker how many mandolins they made? Mine has 263 on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by tildowns View Post
    Thanks for the link and nice job on the conversion. I like the red color of the body. You have given me some options to think about. I saw a pic of the violin in the MOMA. Did you ask the maker how many mandolins they made? Mine has 263 on the body.
    Sorry, I don't really remember -- that was over ten years ago, and I don't think I saved the emails. I can't remember seeing a serial number, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. On it's own, the number wouldn't tell you whether this is mandolin #263 or Amazing #263. Probably the latter.

Have fun with yours!

Martin

@tildowns, here's the flat pickup maker, which might be interesting - no routing!

https://www.sixtus-pickups.com

NFI, just a cool idea, and he's managing to make a business out of it.

No way are there 263 of these mandolins. That has to be an overall instrument number.

I came across a secondhand Amazing violin a number of years ago at Danny's Music in Everett, Wash., but I didn't buy it. That's the only time I've actually seen one of the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    @tildowns, here's the flat pickup maker, which might be interesting - no routing!

https://www.sixtus-pickups.com

NFI, just a cool idea, and he's managing to make a business out of it.
    No polepieces? Which one did you use for the electric mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

After getting it back from the set up, I think I will keep it stock with the Piezo pickup. I am running it through a small Ibanez acoustic guitar amp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	678.6 KB 
ID:	181966  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    No polepieces? Which one did you use for the electric mandolin?
    I used the "Sixtus "6" Mini humbucker". I used it on both my electric & acoustic tenor guitars, didn't try it on my acoustic mandos (and I don't have an electric mandolin). It should fit fine on the OP's Amazing, there would just be overhang on either side. Hm, actually maybe too much.

He taught me a neat trick - on the acoustic tenor, the unwound A & E strings were shrill compared to the wound G & D's. I put a penny on the high string side, which nicely covered the area of the A & E strings, and balanced them out with the wound ones. The electric sounded fine right off the bat, naturally.