Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Parton

Default Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Parton

Well the good folks at Sirius radio have decided 24/7 Dolly Parton would be more entertaining than Bluegrass … I chatted with them about not very happy about it, this was the reply " Bluegrass Junction can still be heard online (Ch. 289) on our web player, app or an at-home connected device. It will return to satellite radios on Friday, November 29. " that's great if your not in the car like me everyday for hours .. no disrespect to Dolly, I like her but not 24/7 instead of Bluegrass … there are many other country stations that could have used, but nnoooo, they chose Bluegrass. If you are a subscriber, and feel likewise, let them know. I hope this is not inappropriate to post, if so moderators, please delete …

Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

I agree...mainstream country should have replaced mainstream country. Good thing I have a CD player...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Don't they charge an extra $5 or something per month for online access? Bluegrass Junction was one of the few draws that ever tempted to come back to Sirius, even if it was somewhat too "Nashville" for my tastes.

I was shocked to find that surprise Monday morning when I jumped in the car. Even though it will come back after Thanksgiving, this stunt helps me decide to cancel my subscription. Playlists repeat too many times, even in the same day on all the stations. When you can predict the next song that's going to play, there's something wrong. It's really no better than commercial FM in my opinion.

Have to admit, I just checked the calendar to make sure I hadn't slept through the winter and it wasn't April first. What a bizarre thing for Sirius to do! Seems like a complete non sequitur regardless of the thought process involved.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I’m not thrilled either so I’m diving I to my playlists and other genres. I think it’s a horrible decision.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Why listen to their choices for you?

I've always like Sirius radio, it's awesome to never lose your signal except in tunnels, I guess I didn't have anything else to whine about this morning, thus the post.
    Last edited by sonnyjammer; Nov-19-2019 at 12:49pm.

Now I want you all to sit down, take a deep breath, then realize all decisions are based on numbers, pure and simple. They are looking for more listeners, and axed that which was a poor producer to try something with a bigger upside. I know, hard to believe the major metro regions are not hotbeds of bluegrass activity. Now take solace that you are a musical rebel, and smugly watch the lemmings jump into the sea. Now, don’t you feel better?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I was surprised on Monday to hear the new offering on my Bluegrass Junction channel in my car. I love Dolly, and I think having a channel for her for a period of time is fine; I just don' want to lose my regular channel. That said, I noticed that the Del McCoury show as still on, and I did get a fair amount of grass in the offerings. I am nevertheless looking forward to the return of Bluegrass Junction on Nov 29.

Get Spotify!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I'd subscribe to a video channel with 24/7 pix of Ms. Parton.

But that's just me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Sirius XM. They're a joke.

I had recalls on my 2015 F-150. Sirius sent me snail mail saying they'd give me 3 free months as a reward for getting the recalls done. I called them up and wasted about 20 minutes getting it supposedly hooked back up. It didn't work.

A few werks later Sirius sent me another piece of snail mail wondering why I didn't take them up on their free trial offer. They claimed online activation was quick and easy, and because the human didn't get it working the first time, I went online but that then wasted another 15 minutes as their website said I already had a free trial subscription going on.

I called the customer service number and wasted another 15 minutes talking with a service rep who at one point offered to extend the free trial to 6 months. Six months or six years, I told them not to contact me again with any of their free offers. Now I just wasted another 15 minutes typing about it. Doh!

Sirius XM took a channel that I loved (The Loft) to make it a temporary U2 channel. Then it became a temporary Billy Joel channel, then on and on. The Loft never came back. I haven't cancelled yet because they dropped the price to five bucks when I told them to cancel. I set a reminder out for 11 1/2 months to cancel again. Otherwise they jump up to $17/month.

One of my original reasons (many years ago) for subscribing to Sirius XM was for the Bluegrass station. Over the past couple of years however I find myself listening more to "Real Jazz" and "50's on 5", because the programming on "Bluegrass Junction" for the most part is dreadful.

18. The following members say thank you to Bogle for this post:

Blog Entries

I have sirius xm in the car and on my cell phone. For things like this I would just play it on my cell phone, in the car. It bluetooths it to the car audio system. Pretty cool.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    I agree...mainstream country should have replaced mainstream country. Good thing I have a CD player...
    Don't buy a new car.

I now own two cars that don't have CD players.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Last year I decided paying for 2 Sirius accounts was silly. I know the routine, remove your credit card, tell them you're leaving, they drop the price. I did that for years. I finally decided that the day would come that I'd be on a fixed income and decided to go cold turkey back to celestial radio. I did it, I went through withdrawal and I'm living proof that you can exist without satellite radio. I do miss Canadian Public Broadcasting. I learned a lot about Hockey on that channel but they also had great programming. I had the Bluegrass Channel programmed but rarely listened to it preferring Willie's Roadhouse and the Outlaw channel.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

22. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

phiC 

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Don't buy a new car.

I now own two cars that don't have CD players.
    My 2017 Nissan Frontier has one along with the MP3 hookups, etc. I like the Sirius XM but if they irritate me too much I just won't renew [and let them know why]...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Blog Entries

If your car doesn't have a CD player (like my new one doesn't) it's time to setup your USB thumbdrives. We have over 48 hours of music that we know we like on thumbdrives.

If your car doesn't support USB thumbdrives there are cig-lighter attachments that tie into your FM radio receiver that can play your thumbdrives through your sound system.

If you don't have a cig-lighter or a FM radio, well, sorry.

We do have Sirius on our new car, but haven't used it and have no interest in using it. We also had Sirius with our previous (2013 vintage) car and learned fast that they didn't have music we liked. As someone has already said, why pay for music you don't like?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

We had Sirius for a while in my wife’s van when it was new. I enjoyed it. There was a station called “Coffeehouse” that I liked, and “Spa.” I also enjoyed the French station since I dabble en français. But with podcasts and streaming services, the radio became irrelevant to me a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    Don't they charge an extra $5 or something per month for online access? Bluegrass Junction was one of the few draws that ever tempted to come back to Sirius, even if it was somewhat too "Nashville" for my tastes.
    They recently changed their policy. They no provide a basic online subscription for "free". Note that Sirius bought Pandora so I expect them to provide more online offering in the future. I love my Sirius in the car. I like the ability to listen to other types of music and mix things up. Sirius is the reason I listen to Bluegrass at all. I got tired of classic rock day after day and wanted to try something new. It caught on. I would probably draw the lime at Gregorian chants though

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Get Spotify!
    Worth every penny (and it's only about 33 cents a day for the premium service). Between Spotify and podcasts, I haven't had to listen to a radio commercial, NPR pledge drive, or pay a Siruius subscription fee in years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    They recently changed their policy....
    Thanks. My information was very stale. I don't really miss Spotify, but I'm always in favor of their being more choices in the market. My gym plays a generic mix of classic rock that is indistinguishible from what was on the radio and bored me to death when I was in high school in the 80s. It's a thrice-weekly reminder to be grateful for how easy it is now to design your own personal soundtrack through life nowadays.

I think it is very appropriate to comment on. I urge everyone to call, complain, demand a monetary adjustment, now, and not just a credit if you renew. A lot of people do not have the internet option in their packages, so thy are just out of luck. I agree they could have picked another channel for Dolly. I think the answer it money talks. I have heard that while XM has a lot of channels, they can not play them all at the same time because they only have so much space on Satellite. They don't have the space problem on the internet with reception on devices. Sirius pulled this same crap back in 2015, so it is not BJ's turn again yet. To say again, Money Talks,and the heck with you.

hank smith