Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner...not Tuners

Default Tuner...not Tuners

Hi
    What tuner are you using to get your mandolin in tune? (Not the tuners at the top of the mandolin)
    Thanks

Default Re: Tuner...not Tuners

Snark

3. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I've tried a lot of different tuners but can't say I love the Snarks. They run through batteries quick, they're not very bright and they seem to break at the stem too easily. And they don't always lock onto the note being played right away. Maybe I've had bad luck with them but overall I don't think they've been very good!

Overall I like the TC Electronic tuners best. The PolyTune can tune an entire guitar all at once - impressive! Doesn't work for a mandolin though, so the UniTune is a great choice for a bit less $.

Here's a link: Unitune at Sweetwater. The Unitune is $24 or $21 if you buy three or more.

The Unitune is big and easy to see, but I wouldn't want to leave it on an instrument. For that I like the NS Micro ones best. There's a headstock version and a soundhole version. I don't find these to be as good as the TC Electronics tuners but they're really tiny - quite discreet and don't tend to fall off.

No financial interest on my part for any of the above.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Bohnen For This Useful Post:

Another vote for the TC Electronics Polytune or Unitune here - I've been using them for a few years now for mandolin, tenor banjo and guitar and love 'em!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

7. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Unitune is the next best tuner to a Peterson. Best tuner I have found for size and accuracy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

I love the Snark. I suspect many of the reported battery eating problems are due to the microphone not being turned off on when you put the thing away. It keeps working there in your mandolin case, displaying what notes it thinks are the sounds it hears. I suspect also that the not very bright complaint is related to the same thing, the battery being low.

I dunno. I have had several Snarks and they have been bright and even using them every day, I only change the battery once a year or less often. That said, my only complaint is that they are a little delicate. I have to be careful putting them on and taking them off. But with normal habit of care I have not had problems with them.

My favorite tuner is the Peterson StroboClip. I have an older one that I adore. It came in very handy one time when just after the last rehursal before the performance we were informed to tune to A=443.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Peterson Stroboclip, very accurate, has special micro tuning adjustments that can modify your tuning for different keys...making playing in B actually sound better, well the intonation, not the improvisation
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm using the D' Addario (formerly Planet Waves) Micro Tuners on all of my stringed instruments. They're discrete, effective and compact, they offer a number of handy features, and I've never had any problems with them. They are available with dedicated mounts for a number of instruments, although their generic peghead mount "Chromatic Headstock Tuner" seems to work best for my mandolins and most of my other instruments.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

15. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

THANKS EVERYONE !! Great info !!

Snarks here. Red and Black. Don't think I've changed the batter in either; I just remember to turn it off when I've tuned

18. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

E.A.R.S. tuner. Mostly right version, but sometimes also left. They both seem to work equally for me. Pretty good for other instruments ranging from violin to piano as well.
    Adrian

20. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    Snarks here. Red and Black. Don't think I've changed the batter in either; I just remember to turn it off when I've tuned
    Another Snark fan here. I have a bunch of clip-ons and one non-clip-on (a Korg that works really well). Maybe I am easy to please but they all work just fine for me, even the really cheap ones.

The battery in my Snark works way beyond one year. It can be dim in outdoor light, but I can live with that. The socket on the neck broke ages ago, but a small dam made of masking tape, filled with epoxy putty quickly fixed that and it's better than new. The Snark is my favorite. My duo partner hand it back and forth, and he seems to like it just fine on his guitar, too.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

22. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Roon View Post
    What tuner are you using
    I use both of these brands:

1. Peterson StroboClip Hd. I have two identical ones now, because I lost the first one, but liked it well enough to eventually buy an identical replacement. (Then, predictably, the "lost" one turned up - funny how that works, the best way to find a misplaced item is to buy another one, then voila, the first one magically reappears.) Anyway, at least for me, the StroboClip HD is *not* hard to use like previous Peterson tuners I'd seen around in years past, I'd tried one of those older ones once and couldn't figure out how to read the darn thing, it was jumping all over, even though my friend was telling me that it was a fine tuner and that I should get one. I stalled, for years... and years... until the StroboClip HD came out. The StroboClip HD seems easy to read, and very accurate. EXCEPTION: For me anyway, the StroboClip HD becomes kinda useless if there's extra-loud background noise, in which case I prefer the tuner below:

2. TC Polytune, used in one-string-at-a-time mode for GDAE stuff. I have not had occasion to try the alternative Unitune model (the Unitune wasn't available yet, when I first bought the Polytune). I was thinking I also had two/duplicate Polytunes at one point in time, but I only seem to have one of 'em now. I only use it for really noisy situations. The rest of the time I prefer the Peterson.

I'm not overly thrilled about the clip mechanism on either one of those brands, but I've gotten accustomed to them so it's no big deal. They do have certain advantages. At least they're sturdy.

I just realized something: any *one* of those tuners actually cost *more* than my mandolin.

24. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I love the Snark. I suspect many of the reported battery eating problems are due to the microphone not being turned off on when you put the thing away. It keeps working there in your mandolin case, displaying what notes it thinks are the sounds it hears. I suspect also that the not very bright complaint is related to the same thing, the battery being low.

I dunno. I have had several Snarks and they have been bright and even using them every day, I only change the battery once a year or less often. That said, my only complaint is that they are a little delicate. I have to be careful putting them on and taking them off. But with normal habit of care I have not had problems with them.

My favorite tuner is the Peterson StroboClip. I have an older one that I adore. It came in very handy one time when just after the last rehursal before the performance we were informed to tune to A=443.
    Use my Snark daily and battery lasts a LONG time ! Up to a year !

26. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I'm using the D' Addario (formerly Planet Waves) Micro Tuners on all of my stringed instruments. They're discrete, effective and compact, they offer a number of handy features, and I've never had any problems with them. They are available with dedicated mounts for a number of instruments, although their generic peghead mount "Chromatic Headstock Tuner" seems to work best for my mandolins and most of my other instruments.
    This!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

28. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    E.A.R.S. tuner. Mostly right version, but sometimes also left. They both seem to work equally for me. Pretty good for other instruments ranging from violin to piano as well.
    +1

Electronic tuners have their place (loud environment, in front of an audience when it has to go quick, etc.), but if one abandons the basic skills required to hear whether one is in tune or not, a whole aspect of what it means to play music goes out of the window.

When necessary, I use a black snark.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

30. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

I have accumulated lots of tuners over the decades. My current favorite clip on is the Stroboclip HD. I also have the TC Polytune but just don't care for it when compared to the Stroboclip. I have a couple of Snarks including the Super Tight but don't like their tuning at all - my instruments just don't sound right even though the Snarks say they're in tune. In a quiet environment, I use the Stroboclip or the Peterson strobe app on my iPhone or iPad.

I do like the D'Addario Micro Tuners for general band use and have several of them. It's funny - I told a group I'm playing with that I'm MUCH less picky on my tuning after spending the past year playing with them! Sort of joking, but the reality is that each person has his own tuner and each person has an instrument with tuning compromises, including how hard they're pressing strings and how hard they're hitting those strings. At home, I'm very picky about my tuning. With the band, I can tolerate more error (though I can't stand not having the two strings in a course on my mando out of tune. Big difference in tone quality when the pair isn't tuned well.).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

32. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Peterson Stroboclip. Best tuner I’ve ever had but the TC Clip-on is great too. Not as well built though.

34. The following members say thank you to albino for this post:

Blog Entries

There are many cool tuning apps available. Seeing as I always have my cell phone with me, this really works in a pinch.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

36. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    Bologna (English idiom for incredulity). No way in a gig setting I would take to time to get a bass, banjo, guitar, and mandolin in tune with each other, with crowd noise and beer involved. I can't stand micro-tonal dissidence, and am not going for low-if retro sound.
    It works in a orchestra setting since the dissident notes are covered by vibrato. It works to tune a piano in a quiet room, and takes a ton of time. Of course each instrument can be ear tuned, but you can also go for a walk without your shoes on...?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

Speaking of tuner apps, I tried a few, my current favourite is the A4tune Guitar and Violin Tuner. I thought using an app was just a gimmick, but it suits me really well - in a quiet environment. Set to violin mode.

40. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

Have most of them. At home, Peterson HD. When playing out with others either TC Electronics or Snark. I find the black Snarks work well for mandolin.

I always final tune pairs by ear.

Sometimes will haul out the Lorg Sledgehammer Pro. I like it, but it seems to have a tough time latching on to mandolin notes. Works better on guitar. (Or nyckelharpa. Mikkel of Väsen uses one.)

42. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I have a Snark Supertight, it's a bit more accurate than the 4 for a fiver straight from China ones I used before, but it doesn't lock on to a string very well. If I want more accuracy I use the phone and the Sound Corset app.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Pano Tuner App in my iPhone

Blog Entries

I use the black Snark tuners on the bowed instruments. I have some red ones but I've found them more power hungry even though I never use the mic.
    Anyway the black ones are good enough for most needs,
    For the mandolin and mandoloncello I've recently been using the D'Addario micro tuner& am impressed with how that copes in noisy environments (If it's quiet usually just do an A then set the rest from the 7th fret)

A few weeks back I began using out the "Tuner Lite" application by Piascore on my iPhone. (it's a free version)
    That's been great so far for home use. I might try using it with a clip on mic to see if it works well in a gig situation.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

46. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post: