Thread: Country Music Special on PBS

Default Country Music Special on PBS

Several weeks ago, probably preceding the History of Country Music series they held a big do at the Ryman. I noticed Ricky Skaggs playing a mandolin with the name gouged out and the "curl" broken off. Do you think that could have been Bill Monroe's mandolin or one built to look like it with the "flaws" intended in the build? Just wondering.

Default Re: Country Music Special on PBS

That's Ricky's old RSDMM that he had transformed in to a Monroe look-alike by David Harvey at Gibson. No chance Ricky will be able to carry Monroe's million dollar Loar outside the CMHF where it resides. Ricky did get a chance to pick a few songs on it during his induction last year into the CMHF. I've seen a video of that and it was pretty emotional for him to play it again after such a long time.

3. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

As an aside, somewhere online I found a picture of a store in Japan that had a wall of Monroe look-alike mandolins, complete with the wear, the gouged name and the broken off curly-cue. Does anyone know who might be making these? I suppose there would be no copyright violation if the name is missing, right?

Thanks for the info!