Thread: Don't let those mandolins get thirsty

Default Don't let those mandolins get thirsty

With our youngest bringing home a cold into the house last week and it going through every member of the family, I have been running the aroma humidifier thing daily. Now I live in the South, known for humidity in the summer but the gas heat pack seems to dry things out in the winter even if it doesn't feel that way.

Over the past week the sound of my mando has been great! I think the thing was thirsty.

Remember the heat dries out the air, help 'em out.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B381 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Don't let those mandolins get thirsty

The heat doesn't dry out the air (it doesn't actually remove moisture). It lowers the relative humidity because warmer air is capable of holding more water, so in order to keep the RH the same you have to add water. Alternately, remember (next summer) that air conditioning actually dries out the air because it does remove moisture (that's what the condensation on your cooling coil is). Get a hygrometer or three. Humidify as needed. I aim for 40% to 50% here on the dry side of the Cascades.

Yup. Got my humidifiers out and in each instrument case right when the first cold snap hit around here.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Just a week or two ago I did a podcast on this very subject. Enjoy!

http://www.bradleylaird.com/podcast/...how-notes.html

6. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

B381 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    The heat doesn't dry out the air (it doesn't actually remove moisture). It lowers the relative humidity because warmer air is capable of holding more water, so in order to keep the RH the same you have to add water. Alternately, remember (next summer) that air conditioning actually dries out the air because it does remove moisture (that's what the condensation on your cooling coil is). Get a hygrometer or three. Humidify as needed. I aim for 40% to 50% here on the dry side of the Cascades.
    In my S. Florida house, it's impossible to get the humidity below 60% in the summer, even with the AC running full time. In the master bedroom, which somehow is the most humid room and even worse, we have to dehumidify for 3 hours each evening in order to sleep well.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

8. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

V70416