Thread: The Ghost Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default The Ghost Mandolin

Hello Friends

What began as a backup mandolin for me while my 85 Flatiron was in for a refret, this particularly nice early Eastman 815 (which even made an appearance in my videos) was handed off to a student after much begging and a time payment plan.

Being a youthful free spirit, he promptly ditched the hard case for a trendy gig bag, had a little too much fun at a gig in East Atlanta and crashed his bicycle thereby running the handlebar through the bass side f hole. To my astonishment the 815 was still playable. No damage to the bass tone bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDC53302-181C-453B-B1D0-9B989DE98FBB.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	181523

The mandolin came home to me and he moved on to an F-9. The thing hung on my wall for a decade as a reminder of how not to treat a mandolin.

For years I sometimes pondered how to bring it back to life and considered a top replacement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06CDC869-455B-4F0F-83DA-F80568E5D4BC.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	181524

One day I made up my mind to repair it by replacing part of the top without opening it. I enjoyed the puzzle and “ship in a bottle” challenge.

When completed I toyed with a black top but a whim caused me to go white. I dubbed it The Ghost. It gets some odd looks when I drag it around to jams and turned onto a good conversation starter.

. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE715AAA-9F0A-4292-9E9A-03894301DD4B.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	181526
    . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09C3DF20-B1EE-4073-ACD9-2759DAD82FE6.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	181527

To my delight, it sounds good. Not as good as my Flatiron, of course, but good nonetheless.

Am posting from my iPod so I hope to get some pics up and am just curious how folks react to white (actually I toned it to a barely ivory) faced mandolins.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bradlaird For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: The Ghost Mandolin

I think it looks good, but you need to be playing something jazzy while wearing a tuxedo.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

Thanks, Phil. Honestly I was leaning towards black but white seemed interesting and certainly reversible. I can see a silk top hat in order.

5. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

If it were mine, I think a carefully positioned bumper sticker would have covered most of the damage.....something like Woody Guthrie had....

I like it. Add a flourish of green somewhere and you've got your holiday gig axe.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

Blog Entries

Jeff: I originally thought duct tape or a couple of Mandolin Cafe stickers.

9. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

Blog Entries

Aaron - That is a good idea. A touch of green. Maybe some holly leaf stickers. I’d better go to Hobby Lobby and see what they have.

You know, at one point I thought of having a local sign shop cut me some vinyl of the Pat’s Place logo and “wrap it” and present it to Pat to be a house mandolin as a way of saying thanks for the Tuesday jam he hosts here in Americus. I should Photoshop up a mockup for input.

Either that or sell ad space on it.

I love it!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Looks good to me. It has that Gretch White Falcon thang goin on!

Scott