Thread: Satin finished mandolins?

Default Satin finished mandolins?

I'm really partial to the Gibson F-9. I don't like flash and flair with my instruments. Are there any other makes/models known for a minimal style like the Gibson F-9? Satin finish, no fretboard inlays, no sunburst? I'm beware of the Weber Bitterroot but even that instrument has inlays.

I'm sure someone could make such an instrument but I doubt it would cost in the $2 to $3,000 range like the old F-9s.
    2008 Gibson F-9
    2010 Jon Mann OEM-8

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Satin finished mandolins?

I often see Pava Mandolins advertsed with a satin finish.. I would think that you could custom order an A style without inlays very close to your sought after price range. I have never played or even seen a Pava but her mandolins appear to be highly regarded on the Cafe by players that have.
    Ditto for Morris mandolins (probably below your price range)
    Happy Shopping!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

How far back are you going for sub $3000 F 9s? Probably back as far as when you could get a nice Collings guitar for under $3000. But I agree with you that an F 9 is a nice aesthetic. Weber Galatins have no binding even. Audy Ratliff makes a Country Boy that is pared down. He'd probably make it as simple as you want it. No dot markers are going to eliminate a lot of mandolins. I am toying going in that direction with my Stew Mac kit in progress.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I almost bought a The Loar that had a satin finish and gold painted flower on the head instead of shell inlay. It was about $600 or so, not a high-end instrument. I really liked the appearance of it. Instead I got a shiny one and I've never liked its shininess.

I believe Ratliff country boy f style is 1999.00 new. If you like that minimalist look you wouldn't go wrong there.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    I believe Ratliff country boy f style is 1999.00 new. If you like that minimalist look you wouldn't go wrong there.

Adam
    Very nice! That's a nice instrument, thanks!

I second the Pava satin. I think they are $2500 new.