Thread: Satin finished mandolins?

Default Satin finished mandolins?

I'm really partial to the Gibson F-9. I don't like flash and flair with my instruments. Are there any other makes/models known for a minimal style like the Gibson F-9? Satin finish, no fretboard inlays, no sunburst? I'm beware of the Weber Bitterroot but even that instrument has inlays.

I'm sure someone could make such an instrument but I doubt it would cost in the $2 to $3,000 range like the old F-9s.
    2008 Gibson F-9
    2010 Jon Mann OEM-8

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Satin finished mandolins?

I often see Pava Mandolins advertsed with a satin finish.. I would think that you could custom order an A style without inlays very close to your sought after price range. I have never played or even seen a Pava but her mandolins appear to be highly regarded on the Cafe by players that have.
    Ditto for Morris mandolins (probably below your price range)
    Happy Shopping!
    Keith Edward Coleman A style, oval hole Mandola
    Stiver A style (eagerly awaiting spring 2020 arrival)
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Kentucky KM-950
    Harley Benton A style (Spare canoe paddle)
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool)

How far back are you going for sub $3000 F 9s? Probably back as far as when you could get a nice Collings guitar for under $3000. But I agree with you that an F 9 is a nice aesthetic. Weber Galatins have no binding even. Audy Ratliff makes a Country Boy that is pared down. He'd probably make it as simple as you want it. No dot markers are going to eliminate a lot of mandolins. I am toying going in that direction with my Stew Mac kit in progress.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I almost bought a The Loar that had a satin finish and gold painted flower on the head instead of shell inlay. It was about $600 or so, not a high-end instrument. I really liked the appearance of it. Instead I got a shiny one and I've never liked its shininess.

I believe Ratliff country boy f style is 1999.00 new. If you like that minimalist look you wouldn't go wrong there.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    I believe Ratliff country boy f style is 1999.00 new. If you like that minimalist look you wouldn't go wrong there.

Adam
    Very nice! That's a nice instrument, thanks!

I second the Pava satin. I think they are $2500 new.