Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allesi tuners

Default Re: Allesi tuners

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Have you actually been to the old Waverly shop in Bozeman and tried to do business with them beyond mail ordering from the Stew Mac catalog? I have, it was not a positive experience.

Did you contact someone who lives in Italy and communicate in Italian, or did you automatically expect him to communicate in your native language and then got upset when he did not or was unable to respond to your questions?

I deal with people who live all over the world and always use their native language for my first contacts, often paying to use a commercial translator. As a minimum, use an online translator and send a copy of the conversation in two languages via email.

Did you call and try to speak with him?

Did you send a fax?

His website list email, telephone, and fax numbers for contact options. Spend that energy reaching out to him, not bitching about a lost email on the internet....

It is a one man shop that creates some of the finest custom tuning machines on the planet, he's not sitting round all day waiting for your emails.
    Right on Grand Canyon...he emailed me back after I ordered my second set to tell me he was on the beach in Mallorca and there would be another delay of a few weeks. good for him. Pretty impressive what he produces as a one man shop...and I think his kid helps out too. He's not Amazon prime

I have Alessi tuners on my Giacomel J5 and they work great. I just bought Rubner tuners for a new 2 point mandolin I commissioned from Czech builder David Sefl. The tuners have a lower price than Alessi and are very smooth when tuning. I think they are a great alternative. Made in Germany.
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200

I have contacted Mr Allasi 3 times in the last week ,he has written back promptly each time .
    There does not seem to be any communication problem talking with him that I can detect .
    Just saying

4. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    Right on Grand Canyon...he emailed me back after I ordered my second set to tell me he was on the beach in Mallorca and there would be another delay of a few weeks. good for him. Pretty impressive what he produces as a one man shop...and I think his kid helps out too. He's not Amazon prime
    I personally visited him in 2012. Nicolo is a real fine fellow and good to work with. There may be a wee bit of a language problem, but certainly not much. While working mainly alone, I understood that he let's somebody else do the plating and engraving.

I gave Alessi a try looking for options to using better tuners. I had many problems with some other brands and decided to put the better tuners on my instruments. I considered Alessi or Waverly the best on the market at that time. I had issues with 9 out of 10 sets having loose shaft pedestals on my initial order from Alessi. I replaced 3 sets on client's mandolins with Waverly tuners. Nicolo did rework most of sets by making new base plates. I ended up writing off 2 sets that he could not repair, because he uses different gears. Things happen. But if I have issues, I go another direction. I strive to take care of my clients if they have any issues. Nicolo did make the efforts as well.
    I use Waverly or Schaller Grand Tunes now.
    Alessi tuners are beautiful and perform well if the pedestals are solid. He made a beautiful custom 10 string set for me too.
    Last edited by Steve Hinde; Dec-05-2019 at 9:23pm.

7. The following members say thank you to Steve Hinde for this post:

Steve, may I ask, which year Nicolo made those faulty tuners? I‘m asking, since Nicolo changed his approach to a more sturdy design in, I believe, 2012.

Hendrik, I would need to confirm, but probably 2015. My communications on the repairs was 2016. Discovered after 3 or 4 instruments were out with tuners on them. So I checked all the rest I had and most had the problem on 1 or 2 pedestals.
    Last edited by Steve Hinde; Dec-06-2019 at 2:30pm.

10. The following members say thank you to Steve Hinde for this post: