Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allesi tuners

Default Allesi tuners

Looking for feedback about these Tuners ,the price of Waverlys has me lookin* around
    Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

Default Re: Allesi tuners

I don't know about Allesi tuners but I was having the same concerns as you re. Waverly. I bought the Schaller GrandTune machines for my Gilchrist A3 and they are fantastic.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

3. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Thanks Billy ,would love to see a pic of your F-4 !

If you are looking for something cheaper, the Alessi’s are not the solution.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

They are 1/2 the price of Waverlys

7. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

I couldn't find prices on Allesi's website. I emailed and never heard back. Anyone know the price?

Starting at 250 euro + shipping
    I have mailed him twice in two days and received reply’s within hours of mailing him each time

10. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

Don’t forget the duties and taxes. I bought Robson tuners a while back, and by the time I paid the duties and taxes, there was no savings. These are also metric scale, so you need to use the bushings that come with them, and hopefully all goes well. The last set I had installed were a nightmare. I’m back to Waverlies. Every once in a while they go on sale, and Stew Mac is very responsive if there are issues or questions.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have a set on an octave that was commissioned a while back. They are wonderful tuners and feel they are worth the money. Very smooth and the engraving is elegant. I’m sure you can order them with your choice of tuner buttons and they are easy to change if need be. Check the spacing specs if the mandolin already has the holes drilled. They are a very attractive option to Waverlies if they will fit.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I know Adam Tanner has put Allesi's on some of his vintage Gibsons and raves about them.

15. The following members say thank you to Bill Foss for this post:

I have Alessi's on my Ruhland F5 and they are phenomenal. Ordered directly from Nicolo for about $450 shipped. Savage Classical is a US distributor and always has a few sets of mandolin tuners. They sell them for $500 https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...ebony-f-style/

17. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

I have Alessis on my Kimble F and Waverlies on my Kimble A. I would have replaced the awful StewMac GAs on my Clark GBOM with Alessis if Mr A had bothered to reply to my email so I ended up getting Keith Robson to make me a set. To be honest, I’d be happy to use any of them but, if price is an issue, there isn’t much wrong with Schallers!

19. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

My F4! Guess what? I just finished a pro photo shoot this last Tuesday with Ed Hensley of this beautiful mandolin. They are going to be really fine. I'll post them when he finishes.
    http://edhensley.net
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

21. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I have Alessis on my Kimble F and Waverlies on my Kimble A. I would have replaced the awful StewMac GAs on my Clark GBOM with Alessis if Mr A had bothered to reply to my email so I ended up getting Keith Robson to make me a set. To be honest, I’d be happy to use any of them but, if price is an issue, there isn’t much wrong with Schallers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49A22CC1-8E3A-49B9-B99B-DF235D767AF7.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	181504
    Keith Robson just finished making me a set of Tuners unfortunately they are Worm Over and do not fit my Mandolin ,Thus the search for another set !
    These are the last mandolin Tuners he is going to make .He is focusing on Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMTBoy View Post

Name:	49A22CC1-8E3A-49B9-B99B-DF235D767AF7.jpeg 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	181504
    Keith Robson just finished making me a set of Tuners unfortunately they are Worm Over and do not fit my Mandolin ,Thus the search for another set !
    These are the last mandolin Tuners he is going to make .He is focusing on Guitar
    Sorry to hear that Keith is giving up making mandolin tuners but I assume there is a limited market for them compared to guitar. I’m sure you’ll soon find a good home for the wrong’uns.

24. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I vote for Waverly. Performance of the Schaller Grand tunes was a huge disappointment on my mandolin, with problems of binding and of loose tuning buttons. Never seen an Allesi tuner but if you want to try one, you will need more persistence and patience than I was able to muster.

26. The following members say thank you to Upis Land for this post:

Green MT Boy, those Alessis are great. <Removed by Moderator, please limit commerce to the classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Nov-30-2019 at 8:16am.

Alessi are the only thing I've used for the last ten years. They are amazing and can be custom made to anything you can dream of. He is a fantastic craftsman and lives a short drive from the village of Condino!

Please remember that he lives in another country and is a small shop whose main product is guitar machines. He will make wonderful mandolin machines for you, but you have to be patient and realistic in your communication skills when dealing with someone in another country on the other side of the world. You need to match his level, not expect him to come down to yours. Playing the ugly American game and barking louder or getting frustrated because of your own inadequate communication skills will not help....

Waverly recently moved to the new gigantic Stew Mac corporate building with the new owners in Athens (I was there a couple of weeks ago), so hopefully they will get their act together better than the Montana version and be easier to work with going forward...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessi 27 F4 3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	181588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessi 27 F4 2.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	181589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010066.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	181590  

Name:	P1010027.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	181591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dec 2 alessi machines.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	181592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessi F5 leaves.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	181593  

www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Wow ,They are indeed beautiful looking Tuners ,thanks for showing them .
    I’m going to give them a try .

Wow ,They are indeed beautiful looking Tuners ,thanks for showing them .
    I’m going to give them a try .
    FYI - there's a nice set on the classified board right now. No financial interest, though I do know the seller is a good guy to deal with

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvanElk For This Useful Post:

Thanks ,I must have missed them .

Thanks ,I must have missed them .
    yup, they went last night it looks like

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Please remember that he lives in another country and is a small shop whose main product is guitar machines. He will make wonderful mandolin machines for you, but you have to be patient and realistic in your communication skills when dealing with someone in another country on the other side of the world. You need to match his level, not expect him to come down to yours. Playing the ugly American game and barking louder or getting frustrated because of your own inadequate communication skills will not help....
    I don’t play “ugly Ameican games”, I’m not on the other side of the world from him and I patiently waited for a response to a simple email asking how much he would charge to make me a set of mandolin tuners. Almost ten years later, I’m still waiting for a reply.

If that’s Mr A’s business model, I hate to think what might happen once money has changed hands. If he doesn’t want the business or can’t be bothered to respond to enquiries, he shouldn’t put his contact details out there.

I'm sure he's a great guy and probably makes a fine product. In his defense, he also has not repeatedly come on the Cafe slinging insults at every person who mentions that their requests to purchase went unanswered.

When I came across nearly the identical thread on Allesi tuners a few years ago I thought to myself, 'I can be patient and polite, why don't I try to get these reportedly fine tuners for my upcoming mandolin build?' When my emails went unanswered, I sent again, politely. Anyone can loose an email or two, after all. But I didn't want to be a forceful or Ugly American, so after a few emails, I stopped sending them. A year after my mandolin was built and delivered I did get a belated response. So I decided to order them anyway, figuring it could be a nice upgrade. He asked me for dimensions which I supplied, but then I never heard from him again. I don't fault him for it, I'm not a builder and its not like I'm going to be ordering dozens of sets, and I didn't make the requests in his native tongue after all.

Since you are a builder and you have developed a working relationship him, and like his tuners, it makes sense that you wish to defend his reputation here. I'm not sure what your repeated insults at anyone who mentions they couldn't get through to your friend does for your reputation, however.

Waverly recently moved to the new gigantic Stew Mac corporate building with the new owners in Athens (I was there a couple of weeks ago), so hopefully they will get their act together better than the Montana version and be easier to work with going forward...
    Here I will only say that I have found Waverly incredibly easy to work with.

Have you actually been to the old Waverly shop in Bozeman and tried to do business with them beyond mail ordering from the Stew Mac catalog? I have, it was not a positive experience.

Did you contact someone who lives in Italy and communicate in Italian, or did you automatically expect him to communicate in your native language and then got upset when he did not or was unable to respond to your questions?

I deal with people who live all over the world and always use their native language for my first contacts, often paying to use a commercial translator. As a minimum, use an online translator and send a copy of the conversation in two languages via email.

Did you call and try to speak with him?

Did you send a fax?

His website list email, telephone, and fax numbers for contact options. Spend that energy reaching out to him, not bitching about a lost email on the internet....

It is a one man shop that creates some of the finest custom tuning machines on the planet, he's not sitting round all day waiting for your emails.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

38. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post: