Thread: Thor's Hammer, many thanks

Default Thor's Hammer, many thanks

I'm hopping on the road in 5 minutes to celebrate with friends and family in the Northwest. It crossed my mind just how much i enjoy the Cafe, it's members and our small Mando community. Thanks all.
    Awhile back, i became one of those "instrument rich", real world poor-ish folk. I realized that once again as one of my mandolins was returned to me after being with a friend for an extended period of time. I'm fortunate to have two Ruhland mandolins and an exceptional Wienman F5. I hadn't played my Wienman for a bit. The thing is crazy good.

* another recent mando blessing was being granted the opportunity to have Ella stay with me at my home. Many of us have listened to Ella via Andrew Marlin, Mandolin Orange.
    The gentleman who is allowing me this opportunity is gracious, kind and deeply appreciated. As are all of you, my Mandolin Cafe friends, family.

Thanks for the many years of enjoyment, enhanced knowledge and so many great conversation here on the Cafe.
    Be safe, hope you all have a lovely week.

Old Growth...

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Thor's Hammer, many thanks

I was at Gruhn's today and played Paul Newson's most recent mandolin. A real delight, a bit warmer than the others I've played. I liked it as well or better than some instruments that cost considerably more.

I understand that Wienman is now selling direct from the Weinman shop.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Gunnar 

For the uninitiated who is ' Ella ' ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

'Ella' was the personal (A style) mandolin of the late luthier John Sullivan, who named all of the mandolins he made. You can hear her on the most recent album from Mandolin Orange 'Tides Of A Teardrop.' Ella spent some time with Andrew through the grace of Mrs. Sullivan, and is now providing inspiration elsewhere.

Andrew still has a Sullivan F.

7. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

JRG 

Sometimes we who are fortunate to own many fine instruments find ourselves ignoring them. Last week I broke a string on my 1970 Guild D 35 guitar, so had to put new strings on it. I’ve neglected my mandolins since. This rather beat up old guitar, made of what in 1970 was “flawed spruce” ie riddled with bear claw, is just a joy.

I’ve relegated mandolin to just doing my scale and arpeggio exercises this week. I do the same with my Silverangel, ignore its existence then binge play it because it’s so good.

So it’s just another thing to be thankful for, and remember back to when even one good instrument was a dream.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Also for the uninitiated, what does the reference to Thor's Hammer mean?

I second your words about the Mandolin Cafe community.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I think Thor’s Hammer is Old Growth’s nickname for his Wienman F5 if I remember correctly

11. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

Ranald 

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjam...me-wife-comesn

The name Thor's Hammer came from a couple of my buddies..i have embedded an odd "tune"that popped out last night, late, upon returning from a Thanksgiving journey in the northwest.

13. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Ranald 

Thanks. I have a great deal of interest in mythology, so am familiar with "Mjolnir", Thor's hammer. I also have Norse ancestors from way back, so I was curious.

I enjoyed your bluesy tune.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Cool...all of those topics are interesting and fascinating. I love that stuff.

Briefly..the thing that makes the Wienman special(at least in my view) is the "dry-ness" of the tone. The little recording i stuck in this thread included brand new strings and was recorded on a cell phone, so obviously not ideal for illustration of my point. It's striking how that dry tone comes through in a live setting however. I was duly impressed by that aspect when I heard Josh Rilko last summer with his group Lindsay Lou. .02

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ZQKxYBsOH/

Just happened to run across this new Wienman clip a couple of minutes ago. I believe that F5 was delivered a couple(maybe 3) days ago. Sweet sounds.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Growth For This Useful Post:

GunnarRanald 

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I was at Gruhn's today and played Paul Newson's most recent mandolin. A real delight, a bit warmer than the others I've played. I liked it as well or better than some instruments that cost considerably more.

I understand that Wienman is now selling direct from the Weinman shop.
    I got one from Gruhn's - great sound from a relatively new instrument. It's opening up more and getting nicer - overall it was a great purchase IMO.

When I was trying it out at Gruhn's I got a little star struck jamming with Sean Camp and George Gruhn among a few others. George had 2 Lloyd Loars from 1924 I believe and we passed those and the Newson around the horn a few times. It was a ton of fun - I was there for about 4 hours jamming with everyone and by the time we finished, the store was closed so I had to come back to buy the Newson. When I went back the next day, I wanted to test the Newson out again (mostly in case I was just star struck) - when I walked in to the 2nd floor, Bela Fleck was playing banjo by himself testing out a prewar banjo. I was shocked when he struck up a conversation with me - it was a treat to talk about mandolins for 20ish minutes with one of my musical heros. My favorite part of that story, after we talked for a while - he introduced himself to me. I had to laugh a little and told him I've been listening to him since I can remember
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

20. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Gunnar 

I agree about loving coming into the Café, and the civility and helpfulness of the community. We are blessed with wonderful instruments, and people who understand our enjoyment of them.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ZQKxYBsOH/

Just happened to run across this new Wienman clip a couple of minutes ago. I believe that F5 was delivered a couple(maybe 3) days ago. Sweet sounds.
    For a brand new mandolin, it sounds wonderful already. Some very nice picking as well!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

24. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post: