Thread: What strings for Gibson F4 (1911)?

Default What strings for Gibson F4 (1911)?

Did my best with the advanced search options but, without spending many hours looking through results, couldn't answer the question in the subject line of this post. I'd be grateful for all suggestions.

Thanks.

Joe Bartl

Default Re: What strings for Gibson F4 (1911)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Did my best with the advanced search options but, without spending many hours looking through results, couldn't answer the question in the subject line of this post. I'd be grateful for all suggestions.

Thanks.

Joe Bartl
    For my current Girouard A4 I use Curt Mangan Phosphor Bronze and Mangan Monel ! Like both ! I will soon have a Girouard F4 and will use the same strings !

Be sure to include some Thomastik mediums in your search.

Teacher, repair person

I generally string 'teens F-4's 10 1/2 - 14 - 24 - 38 or 40. I generally prefer nickel or 80-20 bronze for these instruments. I make up my own sets.

If you want a pre-packaged set, D'addario EJ 67's are about the heaviest off the shelf set that I would be willing to use.. I avoid EJ 74's. Some of those old mandolins will handle them, some will be under stress, and some will not stand them at all.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I'd suggest D'Addario monels - maybe not the Sam Bush custom gauges (though you might like them), but the standard gauges. (I like the Sam Bush ones, but for best results for what you're after...) Monel was the popular alloy in the teens, I believe.

Monroe always liked Gibson Bronze...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Have Mangan Monel lights on my KM-21. I think they'd be a good choice for an F4. Really brings out a nice tone on this instrument. Been getting a lot of compliments from others about it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Thanks, folks, for the suggestions. So I've just order a set of the Mangan Monel lights. If not satisfied, I'll move on to the Thomastiks (mediums-Mittels). I have the Thomastiks on my Calace (lights) and my recently acquired Lyon & Healy A (mittels) -- and in both instances they seem perfect. But I'd like to try something else, for now anyway, on the Gibson. I've always used the D'Addarios on the F4 and though I like the sound, it's time I experiment a little ... I think. Thanks, again.

Joe Bartl