Thread: Calace method exercise 52

Default Calace method exercise 52

I was going through these picking exercises as I am trying to play some Calace pieces. These start in exercise 49, which is quite interesting and challenging. In exercise 52, syncope and tremolo, my question is :
    after a down stroke do I start the tremolo with an up pick/stroke. It's not written, but I know it's used. That would make more sense to have the picking smooth.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Default Re: Calace method exercise 52

This is the link to the method for those interested
    http://www.federmandolino.it/listing...per_mandolino/

3. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Interesting, I think it’s more of a Classical question. Does emphasis go on the down beat? or the beginning of a sweep? or...?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C65A5C2-6655-46D8-8FF8-87919514F179.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	181398

Name:	DFA36889-3745-4EE4-B933-5713A6B57FFB.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	181397

Name:	2E650180-A68B-4990-90F8-D3A1C1161721.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	963.1 KB 
ID:	181396
    Last edited by Simon DS; Nov-24-2019 at 2:41pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

No 50 is completely different. You have to check no 49. In classical methods like Munier and Calace, you use a down stroke to move from one string to another. It's also like playing the violin you should not hear a difference in sound between an up bow or down bow.
    So I don't think it's about emphasis. He would have used accents.

Interesting question, but not easy to sort out. It looks to me like the rule given on p. 4 (that tremolo on a new string must begin with a down stroke) will decide the answer in some passages. In ex. 52, for example, a tremolo follows a down stroke in ms. 11, but must start with another down due to the string change. But in mss. 12, 15, and 16, the tremolo follows a down-stroke note played on the same string. So it seems like Calace might have started those tremolos with an up, but he doesn't bother to tell us.

I have to say, though, that his whole approach to pick-direction seems very strange and foreign to me, quite aside from the tremolo issues. It clearly worked for Calace; but I wonder whether modern players in the Italian tradition follow his practices.

(The references here are to Hany's 03701 volume; the stroke abbreviations are given on p. 10, ex. 52 is on p. 17.)

8. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Hmmm, I think I would find it hard not to start on a down stoke, and since I am going into tremolo and thus picking a lot quicker I think it would be ok. As to what a modern players in the Italian tradition would think, I do go to a class with taken by one, and we do talk about plectrum direction, sweep picking, reverse picking &c -mainly from Leone although we have just got 2nd position exercises from Calace, and I don't remember this coming up. If I remember I'll ask.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derbex For This Useful Post:

I’m guessing here but if I started a tremolo on the upstroke, which seems to me to be rare anyway, then I’d want to start the tremolo with an upstroke. This would avoid the inevitable hiccup that I’d have. (though for others, maybe, it would be a very slight hiccup)

Playing a fast exercise of downstoke eighths is quite a workout, even more so if instead you play them as upstrokes. That feels strange, for a while.

12. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post: