Thread: Waverly Tuners tight

Default Waverly Tuners tight

Waverly Tuners on a new mandolin. Some turn easily, others very stiff - even on the same pair of strings.
    Remedy?
    Rich
    2016 Blonde Pava Pro #197

Default Re: Waverly Tuners tight

What are they like with the strings off? If they are no better after lubrication, they may be badly fitted and the posts binding.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Try a little oil on the gears, Tri-Flow works great. I have seen techs use WD-40 but that is more of moister protectant. Singer sewing machine oil if you can find it works great also.

5. The following members say thank you to Philsf51 for this post:

Be careful which lubricant you use, some stink, and won't easily be removed.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

Before I lubricated anything I'd pull the string off the tight tuner and see if it turns freely. It might be that the hole isn't drilled straight and it's binding. It could bind in the nut as well. If the tuner is bad then Stewmac will most likely replace it. I have two sets of Waverly mandolin tuners and they are both smooth but we've had folks here that bought mandolins where the tuners weren't installed correctly.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

+1 on Tri-Flow.
    I've used the one available in bike stores and it works great.

The last mandolin tuners I used it on was a '27 F2. Only takes a drop or two.

Waverly tuners are made with close tolerances. That makes them feel great when we take them out of the box and spin the knobs, but it means that slight spacing errors, or slight misalignment of the tuner holes in the peghead can cause hard turning. Other tuners, with tolerances that are more forgiving, may turn easily when installed on the same mandolin.
    It is only my personal experience, but I have never seen a set of Waverly mandolin tuners that were defective. All problems that I've seen with them are misalignment/spacing problems in the mandolin itself.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Waverly tuners are made with close tolerances. That makes them feel great when we take them out of the box and spin the knobs, but it means that slight spacing errors, or slight misalignment of the tuner holes in the peghead can cause hard turning. Other tuners, with tolerances that are more forgiving, may turn easily when installed on the same mandolin.
    It is only my personal experience, but I have never seen a set of Waverly mandolin tuners that were defective. All problems that I've seen with them are misalignment/spacing problems in the mandolin itself.
    To that point, it's really difficult to actually install mandolin tuning machines perfectly. It takes a lot of care, specialized tools, and a little bit o' luck.
    I don't think we want to know the make of the mandolin but... are these retrofitted, or fitted new from the builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    To that point, it's really difficult to actually install mandolin tuning machines perfectly. It takes a lot of care, specialized tools, and a little bit o' luck.
    I don't think we want to know the make of the mandolin but... are these retrofitted, or fitted new from the builder?
    New from the builder
    Rich
    2016 Blonde Pava Pro #197

You may not be able to make the needed measurements but this is from the Stewmac site as to how the tuners need to be installed.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You may not be able to make the needed measurements but this is from the Stewmac site as to how the tuners need to be installed.
    What that page doesn't give is tolerances for how accurately the holes need to be drilled (spacing error, lateral error, axial error- lots of ways for these positions of holes to go wrong!). Would be useful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Stewmac may think we need to install the tuners like they say (after all, it almost requires using their tool), but in fact, Waverly tuners can be installed differently from that tutorial with excellent results. Alignment is critical regardless, however.

Had new Waverly tuners installed on my 1993 Monroe Gibson F5. They are sticky/tight. I'm sure it is because of improper alignment/installation.

I paid large to have an "expert" repairman install them. The bushings are ill-fitted also. I won't send another instrument to that same place.

The Waverly's I have on another Gibson F5 work perfectly. They were installed when the mandolin was built.

I installed both of my sets, one on my Gibson F5G and the other on a Korean mandola. If you pay close attention you don't have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Stewmac may think we need to install the tuners like they say (after all, it almost requires using their tool), but in fact, Waverly tuners can be installed differently from that tutorial with excellent results. Alignment is critical regardless, however.
    I have their reamer, I don't use it. The thing I was pointing out was the alignment. As far as the sizes and such, it's on the Stewmac site as well. If you simply pay attention to what they say even a rank amateur such as myself can do it.