Thread: 1939 F5's and the archive

Default 1939 F5's and the archive

Is there a reason 1939 EAxxxx mandolins are not in the mandolin archive?

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1939 F5's and the archive

Yes, the archive isn't set up for the EA prefix instruments from the late 30's and early 40's! They are just using the # serial #'s at this moment! I think there should be a sub section and more than likely will be in the future because for some reason the 39's stand out! Be it F-5's or F-7's! I've owned and still have F-7's from those years and have had 7's from all years and the 39's sound the best to my ears! I tried to get a 39 F-5 awhile back from Cowtown in Vegas but they were a pain to work with and didn't take much seriousness in anything-wonder why they went out of business! I'd still be interested in getting a 39 F-5 if anyone knows where that one went!? Anyone in the know let me know! Scott Napier has a 39 F-5 and make her sound great! Thanks "june39" for bringing this up! Do you have a 39 F-5 by chance?
    Last edited by William Smith; Nov-24-2019 at 9:09am.

In my F5 Journal I have: EA5190; EA5191; EA5192;EA5790 as F5s and EA5248, an H5 Electric made for Dave Apollon.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks F5Loar. So there is at least two batches of 39's with the EA prefix? I know there are the 5's and such with numerical serial #'s also so just like the typical mystery of old Gibson why did they do that? Just a bit strange to me with two types of stamping serial #'s in those days.