Thread: Siminoff Straight Up Strings

Default Siminoff Straight Up Strings

This is by no means a new product, but I just strung up my first Straight Up Strings by Siminoff on my Pava, and i'm absolutely thrilled with the tone right out of the packaging.

I generally dislike bright sounding mandolins, so I've been using the EXP74CMs, which I've found to be the most mellow strings i've tried.

These Siminoff strings sound like the EXP74s do after they've been broken in.

Wondering what other player's thoughts are on these strings.

https://www.siminoff.net/mandolins

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaintlyTom For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Siminoff Straight Up Strings

I just put a set of the mediums on my Pava last week and I'm really liking them and more than likely order again, waiting to see how they hold up but my Pava likes the .039 G string
    Last edited by CBFrench; Nov-23-2019 at 8:13pm.

They made my Bitterroot sing. For the right instrument, they are killer.

Got the medium mando set on my Northfield F5S right now, for the first time.
    I had the same reaction -- wonderful, warm tone without any of the scratchy new-string brassiness that I seem to hear at first with other brands.
    Still holding up nicely after several weeks now.
    I think these might be my go-to set from now on.

Tried them. Couldn't tell any difference from regular J74's. If you like mellow as opposed to bright, try Martin monel strings like I have on my Morris F4.

I put a set of DR Rare strings on my main player (Cricketfiddle F5) and they are hands down the best sounding strings I've tried yet. Bright but clear, load but pleasant.

I can tell a difference, they're not mellow strings and they are not overly bright, nice tone, volume and well balanced tone. String sounds and feel vary between instruments, the only way to see if you and your instrument personally like a brand is to try them and see.

I can't imagine using anything else. I love the lighter bass string gauges. Also, the heavier treble strings allow for lower action and stay in tune better.

The March 2020 issue of Bluegrass Unlimited has my story on Straight Up Strings and the new owner, Kali Nowakowski. Truly a great company that believes in ethical practices and does an amazing job supporting its artists and the charities they select. They just released a "bass enhanced" version of the guitar strings aimed at bluegrass guitarists playing big dreadnoughts who need to power through a band