Thread: Fret size on Kentucky KM-950

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Fret size on Kentucky KM-950

Would someone please advise me on the size frets that are on my Kentucky KM-950. Upon review of Saga's specs the most descriptive information they provide is "medium jumbo" (not very specific). I do prefer this size, now that I have become used to them, to those that were on my Collings MT.
    I would like to know more specifically for the purpose of getting the same size in EVO gold on my next mandolin.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Fret size on Kentucky KM-950

Since the mandolin is built overseas and in multiple locations, its quite possible that even the parent company in SF won't be able to provide you an answer. Its fairly easy for any tech to accurately measure your frets and tell you the spec. Normally the best place to measure is on the last few frets and take multiple measurements of a number of frets for both width and height. There can be variations of + or - a couple of thousanths. Find out what the average of the closest three measurements out of five frets measured.

3. The following members say thank you to Wrnchbndr for this post:

My KM-956 measures at .078" wide by .037" high

5. The following members say thank you to KOakley for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KOakley View Post
    My KM-956 measures at .078" wide by .037" high
    Should I assume I would be safe asking for FW37080 EVO Gold (0.80) based upon this measurement?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Stewmac has good diagrams showing the dimensions of the fret wire they sell, which should be helpful getting the information you need. I would think you would want to pay attention to the height and width of the tang so it will fit your existing fret slot.

8. The following members say thank you to Pablo Bosticio for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Should I assume I would be safe asking for FW37080 EVO Gold (0.80) based upon this measurement?
    Yes, that is considered standard size for guitars and LOTS of builders/luthiers install it in mandos. I have it in two of mine and I love it. Very little sign of wear 3 years in. BTW, that "medium jumbo" description is way off mark. Medium jumbo is an electric guitar wire more like 0.102" wide and totally inappropriate for mandolin.

10. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post: