Thread: Are the Flatiron F-5 Mandos As Good As I've Heard?

Default Are the Flatiron F-5 Mandos As Good As I've Heard?

Hi. Curious about these Flatiron F-5s I hear so much about.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not in a buying position at the moment, no matter how good the deal. Please don't PM me about your Flatiron or any other mando you may have for sale.

I tend to do a LOT of research before I buy, sometimes months, sometimes even years. But for a long time now I've been hearing about these Flatiron models, back around 2000, out of MT.

A couple questions:

1) How much money could I save by buying a Flatiron vs a Gibson of a similar year and vintage?
    2) Were there certain years where the Flatirons were great, or all the way straight through?

Excuse my ignorance. Look forward to your responses.

Mando & Me

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are the Flatiron F-5 Mandos As Good As I've Heard?

Hey there:

When I first started playing the mandolin I played a handful of Flatirons from the early to mid-90s. It seems they were pretty popular around Lancaster County, PA.

Three of them were really, really nice. They looked great, and they played and sounded great. For a while, they were all I wanted in a mandolin. So, my view is they are great mandolins, and compared to the rest of the market the price is usually a steal.

Flatirons at the time we’re outperforming Gibsons, so much so that Gibson bought them out. I think the price difference attests to the power of branding. Each instrument still needs to be judged on it’s own merits, but the few I’ve played have been good. Many swear by theirs.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You'll probably get plenty of good feedback on the Flatirons and there's plenty of information here on the Cafe. They usually represent good value in the sense that they're quality domestically made instruments often available at sensible prices. I've played several (all were good) but I've only owned one, a Nashville-made F5 which is basically a Gibson F5G from the same year. It had classic Gibson volume and tone and was nice to play.

Once Flatiron was bought by Gibson and their production moved to Nashville the Flatirons effectively became Gibsons in all but name. Just a couple years later in 2001 production halted and that was the end of domestically made Flatirons.

Gibson revived "Flatiron" some years later by using it on a lower line produced in Asia. The consensus seems to be that they were pretty comparable to the other Asian imports and didn't add much new to the market. It's probably best to consider those as Flatirons in name only. That's a sad part of the story because at least the way I see it Gibson effectively ruined the Flatiron brand with that move.

Back to the domestic Flatirons (made until 2001) - it's hard to say exactly what you might save over buying a Gibson of similar age and condition. You could pay more maybe. If I were thinking about another Flatiron I'd approach it more or less the same way I'd approach a Gibson - with reasonably high expectations, but of course evaluating each on a one-by-one basis.

Best luck!

Yes.
    I bought a NOS '88 F-5 Artist around 1990 for about half the list price because the seller wanted to move it. It's the only F-5 I've owned since and the only one I've felt the need to own (okay, the "fireplace" Loar was a great mandolin but above my pay grade). A few years ago I played an F-5 Master (the fancier version of the artist) from the same year and it sounded almost exactly the same as mine. I love the sound, the neck profile, everything, and it's a totally reliable instrument (except for the tailpiece needing replacement). I'm surprised they don't go for more money these days, but I guess there are more people building boutique F-5s now than there were back then.

I had a 1995 festival f5 model. Bought it “new” in ‘96 and played it for 10 years. I played it in a bluegrass band setting and had no complaints. Good volume and decent tone. I wanted a little more low end and got a Daley that I still have. Ultimately sold the flatiron for $1000 more than I paid for it since I wasn’t playing it. Always wanted the fancier artist model discussed above. Still read through any classified ads I see for them. The Montana made models I heard and played were very nice.

Smile Re: Are the Flatiron F-5 Mandos As Good As I've Heard?

Why Flatiron? There's lots of great mandolins out there so unless one of your heroes plays a Flatiron, I don't understand why you'd want to go looking for an older hard to find instrument.

Doing YEARS of research means that by the time you decide, price would probably go up. I had a 1984 F5 Artist which just came my way without me looking for one, It was good but not any better than my Paul Schneider Summit (which I should never have sold) or my Northfield Big Mon.

I think that the Flatiron name went on for so long with different builds and therefore you can't really be certain that one F5 from say 1990 would still be the same as it was then or even same as someone else's. One may have been played very little and another worked hard.

Set up is crucial so even finding one doesn't mean it would be completely ready for use. The one I had (signed by Steve Carlson) came from the best period (1984) but the bridge was VERY LOW and I couldn't get any normal bridge on it.

Personally speaking I wouldn't go looking for a Flatiron but I appreciate you have your reason. It could be great but could also be average. Watch out for the later cheaper versions.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    I had a 1984 F5 Artist which just came my way without me looking for one, It was good but not any better than my Paul Schneider Summit (which I should never have sold) or my Northfield Big Mon.
    Those early Summits, at least the ones I played, were really good mandolins; I hardly ever see those around anymore.

Thanks so much, everyone. I will be back later. Forgive my tardiness in getting back to my own thread. I really appreciate all the great insights.

Talk Real Soon & Thanks Again,

Mando & Me

I've enjoyed my Flatiron Performer F5 since I bought it new in '93. When I was in a band, I got compliments on the tone from other mandolin players at gigs, but that may have more to do with the dual piezos I had attached to the soundboard and the CA bridge I had put on. after about 15 years, quite a few frets wore out so I had the whole neck redone with SS frets and they are still in great shape. I play it with TI heavy flat wounds. It's probably a better rhythm instrument (nice woody chop) than a melody maker (I've played a couple of Collings' with better sustain). I love the feel of the neck. At this point I've put as much into upgrades and repairs as it cost me to buy it. Recently had a new nut made and some binding work done on the lower point due to handling issues. I've never had to adjust the truss rod, it still has the original tuning machines, and it stays in tune fairly well.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)