Thread: Subscription Tutorial Sites

Default Subscription Tutorial Sites

I'm looking at opening my changepurse and coughing up some $ for a subscription service. know about Pegheadnation, BanjoBen, Artistworks and a few others, but I wonder if anyone's done a side by side comparison. Like:

1. Best value for the money
    2. Accessibility
    3. Resources
    4. Feedback
    5. Effectiveness

Would love to hear the pros/cons of the top ones if possible.

thanks,
    Mark

Default Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

My reply doesn't really address your specific questions because I think its all different for all of us - just depends on how you learn. Me personally, I like individual one on one time with the teach, I get real time answers, feedback on my playing, and many times it segs into another area we can cover. I'm not one to watch canned lessons exclusively or assessments of others - I figure the time I spend doing so could be spent working on things more relevant to me and my playing.

After individual lessons I would recommend Matt Flinner's courses, he has a set curriculum with real time weekly sessions, you can ask questions and get instant feedback. You get all the materials to include the videos and mp3s for download and future use.

I like Banjo Ben, PegHead, MandoLessons, Mando Mike, Pickin' Lessons, and random YT videos. Don't forget about our own song of the week social group, I have learned a few tunes/breaks that way as well and since its fellow cafe people I can always PM them with any ques.

I say just try something, many of the online offerings have free trial periods and if you like it stick with it...if not move on and find something you jive with. Good luck and have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

3. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

jorgey 

I have used Peghead Nation only - Sharon's intermediate bluegrass course. I have learned a lot - the level is ok, and it is there when I feel like doing it. The only thing I think is missing on Peghead Nation is a way to loop sections of video, the way you can on Youtube with the Chrome add-in. I'm not sure if the others have this functionality or not, but it would be a really handy feature.
    -2012 Collings MT, Honey Amber Gloss with Tone Gard
    -Big Muddy MW-0 is here!
    -Proplec Picks

Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Song Samples from CD from my old band The Kindreds

Just a quick comment. I found that certain sites feature one genre over others. They are all very good however. I probably lean to Peghead Nation because of the variety of genre covered. I took Marla Fibish's Celtic lessons on Peghead and learned a lot. However, I also subscribe to mandolessons.com, a site by Baron Collins-Hill. He has a very wide selections of songs and lessons in a more a la carte fashion, like a big menu. All those listed would seem to be fine. Banjo Ben is outstanding in bluegrass, old time, and Gospel. Whatever fits, go with it. Oh, and one more thought. IF you want to jam, I strongly suggest JamAlong Music Method. Great instructor who gives real time lessons and takes where you ARE and moves you on. I had to give that up temporarily, becasue I don't have the time right now, but might return soon. It takes time to stay up with JamAlong, but well worth it. Hope this helps.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    Taran "Springwell" Mandolin 4/16
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave, and die trying to get back to." Nash

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    I have used Peghead Nation only - Sharon's intermediate bluegrass course. I have learned a lot - the level is ok, and it is there when I feel like doing it. The only thing I think is missing on Peghead Nation is a way to loop sections of video, the way you can on Youtube with the Chrome add-in. I'm not sure if the others have this functionality or not, but it would be a really handy feature.
    I agree with that. I ended up recording the audio and then using Music Speed Changer (similar to the Amazing Slow Downer) to loop and slow down the audio. Sharon's course pushes learning tunes by ear, which is valuable. For me the downside is there was not much instruction on how/what to practice

Thanks for the feedback. My wife's been sick and kids in HS, and work, it's hard to get out to a jam or play w/others. Was looking to find a more discipliined approach and flow to improving, practice and learning. I'm all over the place w/Youtube videos, just watch the ones that catch my eye, so I thought I'd try a subscription site and follow the process, see where it goes. thanks again.