Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Natural talent vs practice

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Natural talent vs practice

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    https://theoffgridmusician.music.blo...t-vs-practice/

Not an either or, and not exactly a myth versus reality
    Thanks for the link, Gunnar. Nice blog you have there.

I'm going to practice, catch you later!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Gunnar 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Thanks for the link, Gunnar. Nice blog you have there.

I'm going to practice, catch you later!
    Thanks Mark!
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Ten thousand hours: The Beatles were doing three shows a night seven nights a week in Germany for years before they became an overnight sensation.
    Reminds me of the story I heard of a club band named Wild Country who drove from way down South to a club in North Carolina, where they played as the house band every summer for eleven years. That was before they changed their name and became known as country supergroup Alabama.
    -- Johnson MA-100 Mando
    -- Eastman MDO-305 OM
    -- 3 Seagull Merlin dulcimers (2GDG, 1DAD)
    -- 1952 Harmony Roy Smeck guitar
    -- Ortega Lizzie Ubass
    -- Leigh Campbell electric violin
    -- Pfretzschner violin
    -- Glaesel viola
    -- Ibanez acoustic/electric guitar
    -- Misc: a cello, 2 cigarbox guitars, charango, djembe, slide dulcimer.

What do you think about this? (caution some profanity and english humor) https://youtu.be/QUUFb-1hBtw

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
    On the Nature vs. Nurture question, I don’t think it is Nature AND Nurture so much as it is Nature TIMES Nurture. Folks with a good natural ear and musical sensibility will get a ton more out of their practicing than the rest of us. That said, as one’s ear and musicality and familiarity with the instrument develop, the return on investment from practice also goes up. After years of flailing, I now know enough of the fretboard to understand what I’m practicing and the difference is remarkable.
    Agreed. I've worked my tail off at music for 35 years and have achieved more than many. But fall FAR short of the household names discussed here and on the guitar forums that I hang out at. So when someone tells me that I "must have natural ability" I just chuckle. My family could attest to how many countless hours I locked myself away in my music room to practice. My wife and friends could also attest to how frustrated I get when comparing my ability/talent to the prodigies and icons. Just an also-ran. But evidently, I'll keep doing it until the day I die, because I don't really know how to do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Coltrane comes to mind. Abundant natural talent. Practiced 10-12 hours a day.

Mick
    Yep, he had talent and the necessary balance of OCD and humility to work his ars off. I understand that he had serious mouthpiece acquisition syndrome, not because he liked them, but because he was always searching for an elusive “perfect” tone. I started on tenor sax, and, man, when I first heard the Giant Steps album...daaaaamnnnn...
    Chuck

Ya mpc acquisition is popular among reedists - on that point maestro wouldn't have differed from most sax players ..

Here's one more if the ted talk guy wasn't provocative enough .. my favorite anthropologist terence (inspired much of my undergrad education )talking here about mythology, space travel, j joyce etc (interiorization of the body and exteriorization of the soul) .. scroll to 52:00" to jump right in..
    https://youtu.be/h086dG4mZ7U

9. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

V70416 

Nature vs. Nurture? Listen to this kid play. Ive been a musician 53 of my 59 years and try as I did, and still do, I'll never be able to play like this. Go gettem Matteo! https://youtu.be/ST9--HWOTA8

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Nature vs. Nurture?
    I still recommend Trading Places with Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis as the last word on this discussion......

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Ya mpc acquisition is popular among reedists - on that point maestro wouldn't have differed from most sax players ..

Here's one more if the ted talk guy wasn't provocative enough .. my favorite anthropologist terence (inspired much of my undergrad education )talking here about mythology, space travel, j joyce etc (interiorization of the body and exteriorization of the soul) .. scroll to 52:00" to jump right in..
    https://youtu.be/h086dG4mZ7U
    Listening to the portion about the test for whether playing music alters cellular building blocks (or something like that) which then makes visible the soul of a person makes me wonder about something.

If someone says they practice X amount and no matter how hard they try they can't get anywhere near as good as "____." Well, maybe the person has the wrong destination in mind. Maybe they're not supposed to sound like the players they cite. Maybe they are hardwired to play and sound like something or someone else.

If Elvis, Frank Sanatra, Dean Martin, George Strait, Johnny Cash etc tried to sound like Whitney Houston or some prepubescent boyband singer, I doubt they'd have even made their mothers smile with their natural "talent."

Perhaps before we play a single note we should listen for the musician hidden within. Only after we hear our own, unique sound, the one we were born to play, can we then properly practice to achieve that sound. Maybe everything else is just a means of physical exercise rather than an exercise in artistic revelation.

Deep lunchtime thoughts. Haha

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archerscreek For This Useful Post:

Yes! Interiority.

Dawg said,basically,that years ago. Play(not practice) until you develop your own unique sound/style.

Maybe it is time for me to grow some of those special mushrooms. But first lets define time...

So John Coltrane "had serious mouthpiece acquisition syndrome"? Sounds like a whole new definition of MAS. Reassuring to know it's not just for stringed instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
    .........we should listen for the musician hidden within. Only after we hear our own, unique sound, the one we were born to play, can we then properly practice to achieve that sound.
    Similar message in The Legend of Bagger Vance..........

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    But first lets define time...
    The "moving image of eternity"?

*sorry for getting carried away on the side here. I would boil it down, for myself, as simply obsessed with beauty, and the practice of expanding my perception - which is the talent.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Nov-28-2019 at 12:35am.

...oops - which anyone can do. All these vids and all are trying to get you to do it. I have a strong compulsion also to encourage this...just another neuroticism