Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tonegard alternatives

Default Re: Tonegard alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    As they say, Isaac, "Your mileage may vary"! I've had a couple of rude surprises when ordering things from the US . I think it depends on who is on duty at the Aduana that day.
    I hear you! I don't want to steer the threat in the wrong direction, but let me mention that, regarding customs, a couple of minor bad luck experiences in that area include paying almost 100€ for a 45€ bridge for an old mandolin that I had and more recently paying a total of 60€ for David Benedict's Golden Angle book (which was 25 dollars I think -and great, by the way). Fortunately not huge sums of money, but it sucked anyway!

That's why I never dare to buy instruments outside Europe. Imagine what could happen with a 3K instrument!

Hi, Don! I don't have any suggestions, but am definitely fascinated by that instrument!

I remember you looking for a 10-string, so I'm glad you managed to find one!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dv View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, this picture in particular seems to show a unique combination of standard U shape chinrest hardware and hill style, haven't found anything like that online just yet, did you simply salvage pieces of both types to make it work?

Also, would you mind sharing pictures of what the hardware looks like from the front of your mandolin? I kind of hoped it would be less visible from the front, but I guess it is a reasonable compromise.
    [Edited: made a couple of pictures; note that that is not glue around the bracket, it is stray metal polish from when I cleaned up the top of the bracket, which gets a bit corroded over time; maybe the silver option would be better?]

All that is visible from the top are two rounded rectangles of shiny metal about 8mm X 13mm. I don't notice them at all, but my mandolin is an old thing and I don't worry much about appearances.

The brackets are not a combination of different pieces. They are a regular chin-rest bracket called a 'semi hill type' such as these ones here. The bits that I call 'rounded rectangles' that are visible on the edge of the mandolin top are the shiny pieces at the bottom of the photograph. Even with a thin piece of cork glued on to protect the mandolin top they are hardly intrusive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-4707 edited web.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	185829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-4704 edited web.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	185830
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; May-15-2020 at 1:21am.

4. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Don Dv 

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Hi, Don! I don't have any suggestions, but am definitely fascinated by that instrument!

I remember you looking for a 10-string, so I'm glad you managed to find one!
    You mean the affordable 10 string topic? Yeah, I managed to get a pretty good instrument within my original budget by ordering from Brazil.

Not a fan of fan fret (no pun intended), but the luthier persuaded me it would make a difference on the C string. Uncertain on that point since the instrument is not very big, but it does have a nice sound overall, though as expected, the difference in volume and projection between low and high strings is significant.
    Will experiment with different strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    They are a regular chin-rest bracket called a 'semi hill type' such as these ones here. The bits that I call 'rounded rectangles' that are visible on the edge of the mandolin top are the shiny pieces at the bottom of the photograph. Even with a thin piece of cork glued on to protect the mandolin top they are hardly intrusive.
    Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link.
    I added two photos to the response above.

8. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Don Dv 

Recalling the Selmer large D soundhole guitars had a double back .. so the inner one could resonate when the body was against the player..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Are there any tonegard alternatives? I have received email confirmation that tonegard is limiting itself to standard mandolin sizes for their product (under the impression they do only one now), no longer doing custom sizes.

I am thinking for an apple shaped Brazilian mandolin (bandolim).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    Wal-Mart shower grab bar w/suction cups may work for you.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS