Thread: National Reso-Phonic RM1 Hot Plate

Default National Reso-Phonic RM1 Hot Plate

Hello folks!

Can anyone comment on swapping in the Hot Plate on the RM1? Any change in the acoustic tone of the instrument? How's the pickup? Is the whole thing worth the price?

Thanks!

Default Re: National Reso-Phonic RM1 Hot Plate

My RM-1 had the hot plate when I bought it used. I am not sure the need for the plug in because it is LOUD even played "acoustically". I have run it into my Carvin amp and the plugged in volume probably makes me ready for stadium tours.

3. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

The hotplate is only in the cover and will not change the sound of the instrument acoustically. It is a good sounding setup, tho I have only heard it on guitars.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Well, I took the plunge and got a Brushed Steel Hot Plate. As someone else noted, it's very Steampunk. I like it! I think it will do quite well for the acoustic classic rock band I've joined.

I wanted to make a few comments about installing the thing for the sake of mandolin posterity.

First, this video greatly assuaged my terror about installing the Hot Plate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2IgMGV8FI

However, it's important to note that Mike is installing the Hot Plate on a guitar. The steps are slightly different for the RM1. Specifically, do use the capo and blue tape to hold the strings in place, de-tune and remove the tailpiece. But I don't think there's any way to slide the tailpiece under the bridge cover as Mike does in the video. As he shows later in the video, it is trivially simple to remove the bridge cover with a 1/16" allen wrench.

After detuning and removing the tailpiece, place the mandolin flat on your bench and remove the bridge cover. Then remove all the screws on the resonator cover being careful not to drop them through the holes. Lift the resonator cover carefully and lift the strings off the bridge so you can slide the cover out between the strings and bridge. In lifting the strings off the bridge, do be careful not to let the bridge and the cone shift position (Mike talks about that in the video too.) Slide the Hot Plate in like you slid the resonator cover out. Replace the strings on the bridge. Replace the screws to fix the Hot Plate in position. Replace the tailpiece. Remove capo. Retune strings. Remove blue tape (leave it on as you retune as you might have a string pop off the post otherwise.)

Now, I discovered an important issue when replacing the bridge cover: the first time I did it, it was touching the strings. So, check this out before screwing down the bridge cover. Put it in position over the bridge, apply a little pressure and see if the strings buzz. Simply turning the bridge cover around resolved my issue.

It's fun applying overdrive to the mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and got a Brushed Steel Hot Plate. As someone else noted, it's very Steampunk. I like it! I think it will do quite well for the acoustic classic rock band I've joined.

It's fun applying overdrive to the mandolin.
    If you had mentioned steampunk in your first post I would certainly have said GET IT! An RM-1 certainly does look steampunk. And the volume, oh yeah, the volume.

I hope you are playing it into a tube amp.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I am not aware that there is any other kind!