Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71

Thread: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Parton

  1. #26

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Dolly is a genius and a terrific talent in my opinion

    - - - Updated - - -

    Dolly is a genius and a terrific talent in my opinion

  2. #27

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Don't buy a new car.
    I now own two cars that don't have CD players.
    One friend of mine claims to play mandolin while driving on long road trips. I have not witnessed it. So far he has survived.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Thatís true, but I donít want her usurping other music I enjoy.

  4. #29
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.191N -74.2W
    Posts
    22,913

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Just so everyone knows there is still a CD option for many cars, you can buy a CD drive that will connect through the USB port of your radio if you car has one and it's on the supported list. I see them from $250.00 to $350.00 on Amazon. My cars are on the supported list and all I can think is that I can buy a whole lot of thumb drives for that much money. It's a quandary. NFI


    https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-In...4212974&sr=8-4
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  5. #30
    Registered User Doug Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    KC MO
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    This is only an 11-day event to kick off some Dolly Parton venture. Bluegrass junction will be back after the 11 days. Not happy- just listening to Spotify in the meantime.
    Doug Brock
    Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, Silverangel Econo A #446
    Pisgah Wonder, Martin HD28, Martin D18GE, CA Guitars Bluegrass Performer

  6. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:


  7. #31

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I gave up on satellite radio a long time ago. I never even actuated it when I got a new car that came with a free subscription. 500 channels and nothing to listen to unless you want hip hop or sports.

  8. #32
    Registered User Doug Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    KC MO
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Eskite View Post
    I gave up on satellite radio a long time ago. I never even actuated it when I got a new car that came with a free subscription. 500 channels and nothing to listen to unless you want hip hop or sports.
    Too bad you didn't try it when you had the free subscription. LOTS more than hip hop or sports, lol. Bluegrass, pop, rock, jazz, coffeehouse, broadway, metal, classical, etc.
    Doug Brock
    Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, Silverangel Econo A #446
    Pisgah Wonder, Martin HD28, Martin D18GE, CA Guitars Bluegrass Performer

  9. #33
    Registered User Frankdolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    My son got Sm when it came out. After listening to it and hearing them advertise themselves every fifteen minutes I said, No,Never. Commercial free means " No Commercials". It's bad enough we're paying for commercial TV. No thanks, I'll just play.

  10. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,673

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Lol, Mike, I can remember being thrilled when I got a CD player that would play through the tape deck in my old Tacoma back in the late 90s. Plugged into the lighter for power, and could almost make it through a whole CD before it got too hot and started skipping. After a cool down, it was usually good to go for almost another whole CD, lol. Think it cost 25 or 30 bucks, but can’t remember for sure...
    Chuck

  11. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Marcellus, NY
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I had a free subscription to Sirius radio for my 2016 Civic EX-T. It was ok. I prefer Apple Music. I can download whatever I want and they send me sample playlists three times a week to pique my interest.

  12. #36
    Registered User DoubleE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I guess Iím in the minority here, but I thoroughly enjoy my SiriusXM subscription. For me itís money well spent, but I donít subscribe because of any one channel in particular. If youíre only subscribing for Bluegrass Junction itís probably not worth it.

    For me personally, Iím not a big fan of the Junctionís rotation, not enough of the founders featured for my taste, but I still listen occasionally. Outlaw Country is my go to. I especially like the Buddy and Jim Show(Miller and Lauderdale), the Steve Earle Show, and Dwight Yoakamís Bakersfield Beat. Itís nice to hear these guys as music fans and not just as artists/performers.

    I also donít rely solely on Sirius. I use other streaming services, traditional radio, cds, vinyl, whatever it takes to listen to music in whatever situation Iím in. My first car only had an AM/FM radio and I had no concept of a smart phone app. It just makes me think of what a spoiled bunch of humans we are.

  13. #37
    Lurkist dhergert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Blue Zone, California
    Posts
    1,202
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Just so everyone knows there is still a CD option for many cars, you can buy a CD drive that will connect through the USB port of your radio if you car has one and it's on the supported list. I see them from $250.00 to $350.00 on Amazon. My cars are on the supported list and all I can think is that I can buy a whole lot of thumb drives for that much money. It's a quandary. NFI


    https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-In...4212974&sr=8-4
    Yup, we've examined this option carefully. A standard USB CD/DVD R/W drive for a computer typically costs less than $50US. The clincher for most cars is that the drive has to emulate a thumbdrive, and that technology, while very inexpensive on a USB thumbdrive, costs hundreds of $$$s on a CD drive... I'm still knocking my head trying to figure this one out.

    Anyway, ripping music CDs to USB thumbdrives is very well known technology and costs very little besides time and pocket change. A person can fit many albums (15 to 30 typically depending on album size) on a single 16GB thumbdrive, which typically now cost less than $3 each in packs of 5 or more. And of course thumbdrives are much more compact than a CD drive and albums.

    (NFI, except for my own pocket change.)
    -- Don

    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

    2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug
    (plus a large assortment of banjos, dobros, guitars, basses and other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [7/29/2019 -- New Arrival!!!]

  14. #38
    Registered User Mando Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I enjoy Sirius Radio, but also have lots of tunes in my iTunes in my ipad which I can plug into the USB in the car and play what I like without commercials or losing my station.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

    Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

  15. #39
    Registered User Tom C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Warwick, NY
    Posts
    3,898

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I also listen to other music. No big deal.

  16. #40

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    If you have Amazon Prime, there are several bluegrass stations in Amazon Music that you can listen to if you have bluetooth in your vehicle.

  17. The following members say thank you to Dave Bradford for this post:


  18. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    The Great Northwest
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjammer View Post
    I've always like Sirius radio, it's awesome to never lose your signal except in tunnels, I guess I didn't have anything else to whine about this morning, thus the post.
    Funny, on the West Coast there is just the opposite experience. Drive behind mountains or through a forest and the signal vanishes, sometimes for a half hour or more. Since Sirius came with a one year subscription with my truck I will simply not subscribe when the freebie expires. It probably works fine in Kansas, not so in the middle of the Winema National Forest.

  19. #42
    Registered User Doug Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    KC MO
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    Funny, on the West Coast there is just the opposite experience. Drive behind mountains or through a forest and the signal vanishes, sometimes for a half hour or more. Since Sirius came with a one year subscription with my truck I will simply not subscribe when the freebie expires. It probably works fine in Kansas, not so in the middle of the Winema National Forest.
    It doesn't take much of an obstruction to lose Sirius signal. I've often wondered how many subscriptions Sirus has among folks who live or commute in most cities with lots of taller buildings.
    Doug Brock
    Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, Silverangel Econo A #446
    Pisgah Wonder, Martin HD28, Martin D18GE, CA Guitars Bluegrass Performer

  20. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    It doesn't take much of an obstruction to lose Sirius signal. I've often wondered how many subscriptions Sirus has among folks who live or commute in most cities with lots of taller buildings.
    My understanding is that in some cities Sirius has ground station broadcast which should be comparable to old school radio. My Sirius receiver gives a signal level for both satellite and terrestrial reception

  21. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:


  22. #44
    Registered User wildpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    FWIW

    I emailed my complaint to Sirius asking why didn't they substitute mainstream country [Dolly] for any of their mainstream country stations and received a reply that basically said, "It's our radio programming and we can choose to do whatever we wish with it. Thanks for your money." Like it or not, that's reality. They are not evil, just another business group making business decisions.

    My CD player is a good option for BG and I keep a rotating supply of CD's at hand, but I've found some really good music on the jazz channels. Lots of our mando heroes draw on influences from other genres for inspiration, so I figure why not join 'em.

    Just trying to make some lemonade out of lemons...
    Mike

    Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

    No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

  23. #45

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Cool! When I was a kid in Cincinnati, there was at least one (maybe two or three?) local all-Beatles-all-the-time stations.

  24. #46

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    I’ve come to the realization I’d rather practice guitar and mandolin rather than listen to radio or a streaming service. In my car I listen to NPR. At home, when I play music it involves a turntable. I find new artists on YouTube. My old Honda CRV has a five disk CD player and even a cassette. I’ve had the same five CDs in the player for a couple of years. Diana Krall, Calexico, Van Morrison, Nat King Cole Trio, and Niel Young.

    I used to drive 20k miles a year, now I drive 2k. My car regret is I’ve never had one with an interior quiet enough for classical music. I did have Sirius for a while but found I never used it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

  25. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Yes Dolly is a genius, and yes it's just a couple of weeks, and yes, there are other services, and yes, I'm more irritated by the fact it seems every online transaction is a rip off, not just Sirius FM, But that's not the point.

    I called customer service this morning. I had to pretend I was a new account to get a human being, but once I had, I explained that I listen to Bluegrass 90% of the time and did not appreciate it being co-opted, that when you purchase something you expect it to be there the next time you look for it. Anything else is "Bait and Switch" which is not legal. I then asked for and received a 2 week credit for the loss of the station. Fair enough. At first they tried to cancel the account altogether, but I insisted I just wanted a credit, and to be able to use the other channels, since I couldn't use my favorite. Surprisingly they issued the credit. Perhaps loss of revenue will prove the best argument.

    The IBMA sent a very politely worded letter to them on the subject as well. But the number is 1-866-635-5027.

  26. The following members say thank you to OlDanTucker for this post:


  27. #48

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDanTucker View Post
    Yes Dolly is a genius, and yes it's just a couple of weeks, and yes, there are other services, and yes, I'm more irritated by the fact it seems every online transaction is a rip off, not just Sirius FM, But that's not the point.

    I called customer service this morning. I had to pretend I was a new account to get a human being, but once I had, I explained that I listen to Bluegrass 90% of the time and did not appreciate it being co-opted, that when you purchase something you expect it to be there the next time you look for it. Anything else is "Bait and Switch" which is not legal. I then asked for and received a 2 week credit for the loss of the station. Fair enough. At first they tried to cancel the account altogether, but I insisted I just wanted a credit, and to be able to use the other channels, since I couldn't use my favorite. Surprisingly they issued the credit. Perhaps loss of revenue will prove the best argument.

    The IBMA sent a very politely worded letter to them on the subject as well. But the number is 1-866-635-5027.
    Thanks for the info. I called. I believe the representative said that she issued a credit to my account (my Urdu is a bit rusty).
    Mostly thanks for submitting one of the few posts that addresses the subject.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

  28. #49
    Registered User Russ Donahue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    779

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Yup, we've examined this option carefully. A standard USB CD/DVD R/W drive for a computer typically costs less than $50US. The clincher for most cars is that the drive has to emulate a thumbdrive, and that technology, while very inexpensive on a USB thumbdrive, costs hundreds of $$$s on a CD drive... I'm still knocking my head trying to figure this one out.

    Anyway, ripping music CDs to USB thumbdrives is very well known technology and costs very little besides time and pocket change. A person can fit many albums (15 to 30 typically depending on album size) on a single 16GB thumbdrive, which typically now cost less than $3 each in packs of 5 or more. And of course thumbdrives are much more compact than a CD drive and albums.

    (NFI, except for my own pocket change.)
    Besides the thumb drive approach - with which I heartily agree - there is always the streaming app for Bluegrass Country. I listen to it frequently in the car. Varied selections and Brad Kolodner's shows are always superb.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

  29. #50
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.191N -74.2W
    Posts
    22,913

    Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

    Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    ...Anyway, ripping music CDs to USB thumbdrives is very well known technology and costs very little besides time and pocket change. A person can fit many albums (15 to 30 typically depending on album size) on a single 16GB thumbdrive, which typically now cost less than $3 each in packs of 5 or more. And of course thumbdrives are much more compact than a CD drive and albums.

    (NFI, except for my own pocket change.)
    I've been ripping disks for the last few days onto some 64 GB thumb drives I got cheap. It's a bit like drudge work but I'll appreciate the next time I go on a road trip
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •