Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Parton

Default Re: Sirius Radio Replaced Bluegrass station 62 with 24/7 Dolly Pa

Quote Originally Posted by OlDanTucker View Post
    Yes Dolly is a genius, and yes it's just a couple of weeks, and yes, there are other services, and yes, I'm more irritated by the fact it seems every online transaction is a rip off, not just Sirius FM, But that's not the point.

I called customer service this morning. I had to pretend I was a new account to get a human being, but once I had, I explained that I listen to Bluegrass 90% of the time and did not appreciate it being co-opted, that when you purchase something you expect it to be there the next time you look for it. Anything else is "Bait and Switch" which is not legal. I then asked for and received a 2 week credit for the loss of the station. Fair enough. At first they tried to cancel the account altogether, but I insisted I just wanted a credit, and to be able to use the other channels, since I couldn't use my favorite. Surprisingly they issued the credit. Perhaps loss of revenue will prove the best argument.

The IBMA sent a very politely worded letter to them on the subject as well. But the number is 1-866-635-5027.
    Bait and switch? Really? That seems a bit strong. I am not sure all that aggravation was worth $7.50 but it seems to me that Sirius customer service took care of you

I spend a lot of time on the road and I thoroughly enjoy SiriusXM. I've been a subscriber for years. I just returned from a trip to Dallas to visit my ailing brother and that's when I discovered Dolly's new channel. In all their promos (on other channels), they mention that it will run through 11/27. While I'm not happy with the temporary bluegrass interruption, I guess I can live with it until Wednesday.

What bugs me more than Dolly is some of the stuff they play and have the gall to call it bluegrass. Just because it's acoustic (with mandolins, banjos, etc) doesn't mean it's bluegrass.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

This was a really poor choice by SirrusXM to do this to their only Bluegrass channel. It's been blowing up on Facebook, with many saying they will cancel. Now we all love Dolly. Heck, she even came out with 2 sweet bluegrass "style" albums. Dolly even sung Muleskinner on the Opry with Bill Monroe. She even has a banjo picker an fiddler in her live shows. And she can sing the heck out of Rocky Top with the best of them. But that does not give SirrusXM the gall to do a 24/7 Dolly test on bluegrass fans, when clearly her fans are country music based. I guess I got this off my chest.

4. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Yeah Dolly, we love you. And I explained to the Sirius radio people that my objections to their programming change bear no reflection of my opinion of you or your music. I can only hope that you understand this has nothing to do with my feelings for you.
    I'd explain it all to you in person, but the security guy won't let me through the gate.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Blog Entries

Nothing beats a proper wailing and gnashing of the teeth by the Bluegrass crowd. I love Bluegrass myself, and am part of a reasonably straight ahead bluegrass band, although what we play didn't sound like much on Sirius from what I've been told. It's all easily measured, all out a database and sorted, then decided upon by the same team that brings you a station dedicated to '80s Hair Bands, a New Age station entitled "Spa" and "Diplo's Revolution, futuristic Dance/Electronic (diplosrevolutioncafe.com... wow, still available. I'm on it). There's no "test" to see how it'll go. The results are right in front of them before the decision is made. All boils down to one word: money. The number of people that will tune in to Dolly is likely hundreds of times over the bluegrass crowd, though plenty of the bluegrass crowd would tune in to Dolly.

I've always been at peace with the fact most of the music I love will never be mainstream: bluegrass, gypsy jazz, Irish, etc. But the big question remains, is this the end of bands that take photos of their radios when their song is on for posting on social media?

7. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Wow, I love Dolly she is playing a lot of her hits but also some stuff from her Bluegrass albums. She should have her own channel.

Complaining to Sirius actually might not affect the programming much if it isn't a Channel Sirius controls. I believe many of the channels are actually owned by someone else. Little Steven Van Zandt owns Outlaw Country and Underground Garage. This could also be a test to see how many radios are listening to that channel now as opposed to then it was a bluegrass station. Once they establish her numbers they might find a channel for her or that one might become hers. It's another revenue stream for the artist.

NEW YORK, Nov. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) announced today that "Little Steven" Van Zandt's Underground Garage and Outlaw Country channels will feature an extensive interview between two living legends: founding member of The Band, Robbie Robertson, and E Street Band member/garage rock guru "Little Steven" Van Zandt.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I don't think it's a test. I believe Dolly bought the time to promote her Netflix movie.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I called Sirius. They said Bluegrass Junction will be back on November 29th. You can stream now until then.
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

12. The following members say thank you to Chris Gray for this post:

I called them and they said the Bluegrass channel will be back up and running on December 1st of this year. If not, I’m going to cancel my subscription with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    ...But the big question remains, is this the end of bands that take photos of their radios when their song is on for posting on social media?
    Close your eyes, grasshopper. Now open them. Rejoice.

Name:  Screenshot-2019-11-30-at-1.23.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  89.7 KB

15. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Sad times when a producer is applauded for actually providing the service they sold to their customers.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

17. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

All is right with the world.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Name:  Screenshot-2019-11-30-at-1.23.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  89.7 KB
    Bluegrass Junction went off the air for two full weeks, and there was not a single apocalyptic Roland Emmerich-type catastrophe

But most of us knew it was coming back.
    David Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    But most of us knew it was coming back.
    That thin, grey line was the only thing standing between us and the Apocalypse. That was a close call.

Their promos for Dolly that aired on other channels specified that it would only run through the 27th so it wasn't a tough call.
    David Hopkins

Like the McRib, it's back! Bluegrass fans can now breathe easy again as they listen to their mostly not bluegrass 24/7 again. I listened to some of the Dolly. At least she broke it up and had some of the rare Dolly & Porter duets on their. She could handle her own channel no doubt, but I don't think it would have the fans the bluegrass has. Likely if she had her own it would be more like the Garth channel and she would play other artists that she likes from rock to pop. You can only take so much of Here You Come Again before your life is like a butterfly.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I drove down to my brother's for Thanksgiving, listening to Dolly, and came back listening to Bluegrass.

All in all it was fine. Just fine.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Ugh, I apologize, OP, but... Dolly. Dolly, man. I do love blue grass, I swear. But it's hard to be upset about Dolly 24/7! Nay, it's impossible if your brain is anything like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjammer View Post
    Well the good folks at Sirius radio have decided 24/7 Dolly Parton would be more entertaining than Bluegrass … I chatted with them about not very happy about it, this was the reply " Bluegrass Junction can still be heard online (Ch. 289) on our web player, app or an at-home connected device. It will return to satellite radios on Friday, November 29. " that's great if your not in the car like me everyday for hours .. no disrespect to Dolly, I like her but not 24/7 instead of Bluegrass … there are many other country stations that could have used, but nnoooo, they chose Bluegrass. If you are a subscriber, and feel likewise, let them know. I hope this is not inappropriate to post, if so moderators, please delete …

Sirius bought Pandora? That explains why my Pandora is getting dumber and dumber.

Blog Entries

Thought I'd get in on some of this action of posting pictures of my stats from various music services on the web, social media, etc. I mean, is it possible to get enough of this? I don't THINK so. Pretty impressed with my activity pretty far. I seem to have followers in a couple of small towns in Sweden and one in Tel Aviv for starters on Spotify. Stay tuned for more!

I'm huge in Sweden

Thought I'd get in on some of this action of posting pictures of my stats from various music services on the web, social media, etc. I mean, is it possible to get enough of this? I don't THINK so. Pretty impressed with my activity pretty far. I seem to have followers in a couple of small towns in Sweden and one in Tel Aviv for starters on Spotify. Stay tuned for more!

I'm huge in Sweden
    I have family in Toulouse, maybe you know them?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

31. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: